Sheffield Lane Top ~ bowling alley??

kev21662

In the early 1960s there was a Bowling Alley on Birley Moor Road, somewhere down near the bottom of the hill, as I recall. It was built by a local entrepreneur to catch a new interest (Len Hawnt?), but it only survived a few years. I suppose that fashions changed, and in any case it was then a rather remote location and far fewer people then owned cars - and those who did own cars were probably concentrated across on the south-west side of the city.

Sure my dad took me to one oposite side of cross roads to the pheasent public house ??

Could be wrong though, was a long time ago, lol

The only bowling alley around here is at Firth Park and there have never been any others. I have lived around here since 1955. I thinlk you've got wrong pub. The Wharncliffe on Bevercotes road is on opposite side of crossroads to bowling alley

Wasn't there supposed to be one being built under Hillards supermarket? Opposite the pub that got pulled down a couple of years ago and now has flats on it? At the crossroads of Barnsley Road and Deerlands Avenue? I am going back to the 60's now!!

Wasn't there supposed to be one being built under Hillards supermarket? Opposite the pub that got pulled down a couple of years ago and now has flats on it? At the crossroads of Barnsley Road and Deerlands Avenue? I am going back to the 60's now!!

That was the Huntsman.

Only bowling alley I know is Firth Park

Archived