Pay as (or if) you go

Somebody said to me earlier today: "I see the Brits are charging people to leave the place now!"

"Yeah, right!"I said (expecting some witty comment.)

He wasn't joking. It appears that the government is increasing

departure tax 

from the UK by 50% or more.

If you want to emigrate, you will have to pay more to leave. (There's still no charge to immigrate, however. ;))

But if, for instance, you were planning to take a family of four on a trip to Disney World next summer you can expect to pay £300 in departure tax just to get out of the UK. If you wanted seats with a bit of extra room, then the tax would be £600.

This may affect the holiday plans of some UK residents. I accept that holidays are a luxury, but it might also affect the plans of tourists who were thinking of coming to the UK and tourism is supposed to be an important industry. - The tourists won't have to pay the tax to get in, but they would have to pay it to leave and some of them are likely to cross the UK off the list of places they intended to visit.

This is Air Passenger Duty, nothing to do with emigrating apart from you usually will leave by plane.

You are also being a little sensationalist with your comments, leaving the majority of the information.

The rises are as follows:

Band A 9% rise

Band B 33% rise

Band C 50% rise

Band D 55% rise

These are rises in taxation, not he cost of a flight.

There is no such levy for non-flying travellers :huh:

You're still OK to leave (and optionally return) by foot/wheels/boat for free ;)

I don't suppose that there are many Brits who go to Florida by boat, nor are there many American tourists who travel by boat, either.

I don't suppose that there are many Brits who go to Florida by boat, nor are there many American tourists who travel by boat, either.

So it's the method of travel rather than the intent of the travel?

This is Air Passenger Duty, nothing to do with emigrating apart from you usually will leave by plane.

You are also being a little sensationalist with your comments, leaving the majority of the information.

The rises are as follows:

Band A 9% rise

Band B 33% rise

Band C 50% rise

Band D 55% rise

These are rises in taxation, not he cost of a flight.

I gave you the link. Did you have difficulty in following it?

Who mentioned increases in the price of the flight itself? - I didn't.

So it's the method of travel rather than the intent of the travel?

Yes, it's a departure tax. Virgin and BA have complained because (presumably) they feel it will make their UK destinations less competitive to long-haul passengers than other European destinations. People leaving the UK on long-haul journies have the option of travelling to a major European Airport (either by short-haul flight and paying band A tax or by boat/train/car) and flying from there.

I suspect that for most people (particularly those going on holiday who have a limited amount of time) travelling by surface/train to a European airport won't seem like a good idea, so they will be stuck with the prices.

Here's a quote from another site:

Aviation is heavily subsidised, to the extent that it pays no VAT on tickets, and there is no tax on aviation fuel. A litre of aviation fuel costs around 30 - 33p, while a litre of petrol for the car costs around £1.19. Aviation is a sector that is very lightly taxed indeed. The benefit to the UK aviation industry of not paying these taxes is worth at least £9 billion a year. When VAT rises, the benefit will be even greater. And it's not just aircraft: spare parts, servicing: if it flies and it isn't a bird, it's VAT-free. Even the in-flight meals and the in-flight scratch cards.

As passengers are getting away with not paying increased fares to cover VAT so APD looks to be a cheap alternative.

Archived