Trick, treat, or extortion?

How I love this time of year.

Kids dress up as characters from films I haven't seen and knock on my door when I'm trying to relax and suggest that I - a total stranger - give them something for nothing, with the suggestion that if I don't something bad might happen. At the very least we'll be in for an awkward few minutes on the doorstep because frankly I have no idea of the etiquette. I don't know what 'treat' to offer, or what the 'trick' might entail, so how can I choose a course of action?

Or is it just harmless fun?

(seriously though, don't knock on my door. My evenings are sacred and I'll be grumpy)

I hate the idea of trick and treating.

If you know the folks around you and want to take dress the kids up and play the trick.treat game, fine. But leave alone the folks you don't know/haven't indicated they want to play the "game".

Last time we had visitors they were around 15 and hadn't even bothered to dress up.

Aaaah it's a bit of fun. My pensioner mum has lights out and doesn't answer the door, and that's her decision, but we have a bowl of sweeties for the kiddies. They are usually only about five or six, with their mummies.

I know some people don't like it, but it IS only one night a year. You can always go out

Aaaah it's a bit of fun. My pensioner mum has lights out and doesn't answer the door, and that's her decision, but we have a bowl of sweeties for the kiddies. They are usually only about five or six, with their mummies.

I know some people don't like it, but it IS only one night a year. You can always go out

If I go out I need a babysitter. And one who can get my baby back to sleep if people are going to be knocking on. And one who doesn't mind dealing with people begging at my door!

I don't know until I open the door if it's a few little kids with their mum or a bunch of older kids. Evidently you live somewhere nicer than I do.

I annoys me. There, I've said it.

you miserable bunch of gits !! halloween is fab - US import I know ,but so were pop music and jeans - we've had the best (completely hand made) cozzie every year for 10 years and our front room looks like dracula's attic - endcliffe park outdoor party is ace and we allus win 1st prize (and will again on sunday) bah humbug

I like Terry Wogans take on trick or treat!!! When they come to the door, ask 'trick or treat' he says 'treat please' grabs a handful of the sweeties and shuts the door!!!!!!!!!!!! (Think he is only kidding though?!!)

Archived