Trick, treat, or extortion?

How I love this time of year.

Kids dress up as characters from films I haven't seen and knock on my door when I'm trying to relax and suggest that I - a total stranger - give them something for nothing, with the suggestion that if I don't something bad might happen. At the very least we'll be in for an awkward few minutes on the doorstep because frankly I have no idea of the etiquette. I don't know what 'treat' to offer, or what the 'trick' might entail, so how can I choose a course of action?

Or is it just harmless fun?

(seriously though, don't knock on my door. My evenings are sacred and I'll be grumpy)

5 or 6 years ago we were living in a small town in the Kraichgau - not the UK, nor America.

The kids came out at about 4.30 pm (long before dark.) It was fantastic! Little kids dressed like Çaspar the Ghost' (sheet over the head, bare arms sticking out - running around like banshees.)

Little kids having lots of fun. I had lots of time and lots of sweets for them.

In the US, the rule is "If the outside light is on, they are playing - You can knock on the dor and they will give you something. If the outside light is off, they aren't playing (or they've run out of sweeties.)"

When I lived in Lincolnshire (during the '70's) it was 'mischief night'. - The kids weren't interested in scrounging sweeties, but your gate might end up a few miles away. (My gate - a large 5 bar gate) did just that.

Samhain is a festival in the old religion. It is the time when the border between our world and that of those who went before us is very thin. It is the season of madness; the season when people act irrationally. The time when mischief rules.

It is not an American import. It is a common festival throughout Europe.

Guy Fawkes wasn't burned on a bonfire on 5 Nov - but effigies (or sometimes unemployed wastrels) were toasted during Samhain. it was, after all, the time of madness.

I hate the idea of trick and treating.

If you know the folks around you and want to take dress the kids up and play the trick.treat game, fine. But leave alone the folks you don't know/haven't indicated they want to play the "game".

Last time we had visitors they were around 15 and hadn't even bothered to dress up.

Agreed. To an older or distracted person, 'trick or treat' could be a real threat.

I understand that some police forces have talked about prosecutions for 'demanding money with menaces'- IMO, that's OTT.

If there's an outside light on - knock on the door. If not, don't bother.

Easy solution, big sign on door - "NO TRICK OR TREAT".

I haven't been bothered in years!

When l was a kid, if they were mean and said trick, we used to take their gates of it's hinges.

I think people need to have a serious word with themself. Trick or Treating is a fun night for kids and I'm sure you will all have dont it at some point so come on. Stop been tight, buy a £1 bag of sweets and tell the kids how good they look in their outfits.

Aaaah it's a bit of fun. My pensioner mum has lights out and doesn't answer the door, and that's her decision, but we have a bowl of sweeties for the kiddies. They are usually only about five or six, with their mummies.

I know some people don't like it, but it IS only one night a year. You can always go out

I think people need to have a serious word with themself. Trick or Treating is a fun night for kids and I'm sure you will all have dont it at some point so come on. Stop been tight, buy a £1 bag of sweets and tell the kids how good they look in their outfits.

What's a bit of fun one evening a year and few bucks spent on sweets.

I dont mind getting out of the recliner a few times to hand out some goodies for an hour or two and some of the costumes are a riot.

I've got a bag of haribos left over from last Halloween.

So whatever happened to not encouraging kids to accept sweets from strangers? :suspect:

Archived