Why Should Britain be in the EU

Firstly, if the UK did secede, it could become a member of the European Economic Area (EEA), which would give it not only tariff-free access to EU markets, but also access to most of the other aspects of the European Internal Market.

that would certainly change the balance of power between the eu and non-eu states in this agreement and might prompt a review of the tariff-freeness

if that was the case, would the non-eu countries accept our application to join it

That's probably it.

The thing is, we import far more from the EU, than we export to them, so they have far more to lose (by stopping trading with us) than we do.

the trade barriers would apply to our exports to them.

obviously we could apply trade barriers to their exports but would a trade war benefit either us or the eu, especially at the minute?

the other thing is that the eu could probably create internally much of what we currently export, especially if the foreign firms who set up operations in the uk to gain access to the eu relocate, which would mean our exports would fall.

on the other hand, it would take several years to expand our manufacturing to produce what we currently import.

Interesting - I think the USA might argue that NY is the worlds leading financial centre. Could well shift to China etc in our lifetime.

Our position regarding Europe - semi detached financially but with political influence has served well so far. Further detachment likely to see any influence reduce substantially - things are shifting and we are in no position (and haven't been for decades) to go it alone.

Well, the USA might argue this, but it would be wrong. By the term 'leading financial centre, we are talking about the size and breadth of a centre's capital markets (i.e. banking, trade in currencies, bonds and the like). As the latest World Economic Forum league table shows (published October 2009 - I don't think that the 2010 report has been published yet), the UK has overtaken the USA in this regard (Indeed, the USA is relegated to third place, behind Australia). The report is here: http://www.weforum.org/en/initiatives/gcp/FinancialDevelopmentReport/index.htm A more recent report (published in 2010 by Deutsche Bank), which uses a somewhat different set of criteria, also puts London in the top spot, with NY in second place. As for the emerging markets (including China), they have a very long way to go before they are likely to displace the main western financial centres.

Of course, NY has the world's largest stock market, but that is not what we are talking about here. Incidentally, when the UK decided not to join the eurozone, the same siren voices were predicting that Frankfurt and or Paris would soon knock London off its pedestal as Europe's largest stock market. Again, this has not happened and shows no signs of happening.

As for 'going it alone', we live in an increasingly interdependent world. This interdependency stretches far beyond the boundaries of the EU. The EU's version of regionalism was conceived before the advent of hyper-globalisation and there is a good argument to be made that it is now out-dated.

Strange that Denmark isn't in the EU (and hence, doesn't pay the massive "membership fees"), yet trades with the EU :confused:

Well let's leave then and see what happens.

We had a referendum in the 70's that said stay and I'm sure a new referendum would say the same.

I remember when Britain joined in the 50s, most Brits were against it, Sheffielders anyhow, but I suppose the people had no say in it a usual :roll:

Firstly the elected politicians of the time knew what was best as opposed to blokes in pubs. Secondly the question was put to the public in the referendum of 1975 and that referendum voted yes to staying in. All MP's were allowed a free vote and cross party campaigns furiously debated for and against. Unsurprisingly the nation voted yes to staying in.

We had a referendum on staying in the EEC.

We've never had a referendum on staying in the EU.

And you believe that once it became the EU we should have had another referendum? Well maybe you are right but as I remember there was no big clamour for another referendum.

I believe leaving would be suicide and don't believe there should be another referendum. The reason being the sheer weight of lies and distortion from the anti EU press bars any possibility of an adult debate. In short there are too many dimwits who would believe The Sun and Mail and vote as instructed. In 1975 there were at least some journalistic ethics.

Secondly the question was put to the public in the referendum of 1975 and that referendum voted yes to staying in. All MP's were allowed a free vote and cross party campaigns furiously debated for and against. Unsurprisingly the nation voted yes to staying in.

A lot has happened since 1975.

Back then, we traded with Europe.

Nowadays, we're controlled from Europe.

If there was a referendum tomorrow, I suspect most people would want us out.

Archived