Why Should Britain be in the EU

And on what basis did you arrive at this conclusion? Because they filed actions against the MP's for treason? You don't even know who they were or what evidence they submitted to support their allegations.

Let me hazard a guess at no evidence that would be good enough to bring a prosecution under the Treason Act(s) - ie a complete waste of time.

The last gasp of Euroscepticism took place during the Major years and the 'silent majority' had their chance then to put poll tax sized demo's on the streets but didn't. All that happened is that the Eurosceptic leader Redwood got trounced by Major in the Tory leadership battle. Case closed.

By all means if you are a Eurosceptic write in massive numbers to the government and Tory/Lib MP's and reheat the debate. I would love to see the coalition deal with the issue.

Lord Stoddart of Swindon: My Lords, I suppose that this could not possibly have anything to do with the fact that European Union Commissioners affirm an oath of allegiance to the European Union. If they do so, they swear allegiance to somebody other than Her Majesty the Queen, which I understand would in itself be treasonable.

Stoddart is wrong though.

Sorry for delay, but I closed this file a long time agao, and it is quite big. In meantime, since I appear to have gained interest on this subject, here is another quote:

Lord Tebbit: My Lords, what on earth has been going on in the Home Office? Does the Minister recollect that on 16 November last, she told me in a Written Answer that the 1795 Act was still in force and subsequently had to correct that? Now her officials have written to members of the public saying that they have no idea why the 1795 Act was repealed. It seems that they are incapable of going to the Library, finding the Official Report for 19 March 1998 and reading in it the speeches made by the noble and learned Lord, Lord Archer, and Lord Williams of Mostyn, who seemed to have some idea why he was advocating the Act's repeal.

Link http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200405/ldhansrd/vo050307/text/50307-02.htm

hasn't that been the fundamental weakness of every political structure over the last 6000 or so years?

No, at least not since the advent of elective democracy. There is a fundamental difference between the political systems of democratic states and that of the EU, i.e. within the former the people can change their governments through elections, whereas in the latter they cannot. For example, the elections to the European Parliament do not result in a change of 'government' in Brussels. Nor are there cross-border political cleavages which crystallise into EU-wide party manifestos from which electors can choose (and thereby select who should rule them). It is no wonder that turnouts at EP elections are so abysmally low and that the EU has such a notorious reputation for being so remote from its citizens.

Sorry for delay, but I closed this file a long time agao, and it is quite big. In meantime, since I appear to have gained interest on this subject, here is another quote:

Lord Tebbit: My Lords, what on earth has been going on in the Home Office? Does the Minister recollect that on 16 November last, she told me in a Written Answer that the 1795 Act was still in force and subsequently had to correct that? Now her officials have written to members of the public saying that they have no idea why the 1795 Act was repealed. It seems that they are incapable of going to the Library, finding the Official Report for 19 March 1998 and reading in it the speeches made by the noble and learned Lord, Lord Archer, and Lord Williams of Mostyn, who seemed to have some idea why he was advocating the Act's repeal.

Link http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200405/ldhansrd/vo050307/text/50307-02.htm

No you haven't gained interest - you've just posted tripe that has been seen before on here and has been shown to be nonsense.

Quote 1:

Blair Government – Treason or Malfeasance?

February 1, 2010 | Comments Off

Police Finally Respond After Three Years Delay

1 February 2010

Almost three years ago John Gouriet and I presented Scotland Yard with prima facie evidence of malfeasance at best, and treason at worst, against the prime minister and several members of Mr Blair’s cabinet.

Essentially our case rested on the fact that his government, like previous governments, had overthrown the constitution of the United Kingdom by passing sovereign powers to the EU.

The silence from Scotland Yard was deafening. We were told to wait for a considered reply, but none came in more than a year.

Finally we complained to the Independent Police Complaints Commission. Again the silence was deafening.

Now, suddenly after two years of sketchy, often vague correspondence which was obviously intended to delay any proper investigation or considered answers, in the last few weeks the Metropolitan Police Authority has asked us for further particulars.

Quite how or why our complaint leapt from one organisation to the other is a bureaucratic mystery. Was all this time wasted whilst various departments batted our hot potato back and forth between themselves? Were our allegations and evidence too hot for the IPCC to handle?

http://www.ashleymote.co.uk/?p=1762

The last gasp of Euroscepticism took place during the Major years .

You could not be more wrong about this. In fact, 'Euroscepticism' is not only alive and well, but is alive and kicking in many EU countries, even in some supposedly 'Europhile' states. Although the term 'Euroscepticism' was coined by a British journalist to refer to opposition to the EU project in the UK, it now refers to an EU-wide phenomenon (e.g. it is present in Denmark, France, the Netherlands, Austria, Poland, the Czech Republic, Hungary, to name but a few).

I have often questioned this and having visited many EU nations I certainly feel that the UK is not really one with its EU counterparts.

Some say if we leave, the EU will stop trading with us, but that is utter rubbish as trade forces depict who you trade with and how much. Companies will not suddenly stop trading with the UK, they will trade with who ever is the most cost effective irrespective of which special club they are a member of.

EU countries that stopped trading with a neighbour of 50 million people would be very foolish. Ireland, for instance, depends very heavily on exports to the UK, and is already in trouble with the EU.

Archived