I'm going to try something new every week

taxman

I have just discovered the joys of Laksa. It was amazing - I wish I'd tried it sooner. Here is the recipe if anyone is interested - it was very quick & easy to make and tasted a bit like a Thai curry:

- Thinly slice two carrots & handful of shiitake mushrooms and add with 100g of baby sweetcorn (split down the middle) to a pan with tiny bit of oil

- Toss over fierce heat for few seconds then pour in 1L of stock (your choice), 200ml coconut milk (although I used 400ml and it was fine), 1tsp umeboshi paste (if you have it), 2 finely sliced garlic cloves, 4cm of ginger grated (use juice too) and 1 tbsp red curry sauce.

- Smash 2 lemongrass stalks & add them to the pot.

- Bring to the boil. Add 2-3 noodle nests.

- Add 1 courgette finely diced and boil for 4-5 minutes.

- Remove lemon grass & stir in 2 tbsp white miso.

- Add chopped fresh corriander & season with Tamari.

- Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan, quarter 1 head of pak choi & toss quickly until it wits - splash with tamari

.... serve on top of the laska in big soup bowls :) :) :)

I can post the curry sauce recipe if anyone would like it

You could add cooked chicken pieces if you wanted to make it meaty

• 5 months later...
Sounds good actually, spinach and greens curry well so why not cabbage? Which spices did you use?

Red onion, black mustard seeds, turmeric and whole cumin and a green chilli. It was made a mild side dish to a fiery beef dish so I reigned in my usual degree of spiciness. I stirred through a very large dollop of Greek Yogurt just before serving.

• 4 weeks later...
Where did you get your mutton, taxman? Ive seen a couple of recipes to try with it, but never seem to see it about.

Chris Beeches on South Road, Walkley. £10 a kilo, diced, which is cheaper than lamb but more expensive than shin or braising/stewing steak.

And I have to say it is delicious.

It's been marinated for two hours and slow cooked for 90 mins with lots of spice but I can still taste the meat, lovely.

Edited by taxman