I'm going to try something new every week

taxman

not sure if this helps but last year I asked for marrow bones when I was in the chatsworth farm shop and they provided cut bones free of charge. very tasty but very rich

Thanks procrasin8r. I did indeed go to Chatsworth and they happily produced 2 HUGE marrow bones. Unbelievably these only produced four small edible marrow bones. But they were delicious. I also picked up a container full of lamb's sweetbreads which they gave to me for 50p! :D

I've not tried beef cheeks before but I currently have a couple sitting in red wine, bay, peppercorns, herbs and star anise. Not sure what to do with them or how to cook. I think I'll fry the cheeks off and simply stew in the marinade. If they're tender enough I'm thinking of making a ragu with them and pappardelli, or I may just scoff them as they are.

Thanks procrasin8r. I did indeed go to Chatsworth and they happily produced 2 HUGE marrow bones. Unbelievably these only produced four small edible marrow bones. But they were delicious. I also picked up a container full of lamb's sweetbreads which they gave to me for 50p! :D

did you have to pre-order the sweetbreads or did they just have some available? I have been meaning to get some for a while now...

did you have to pre-order the sweetbreads or did they just have some available? I have been meaning to get some for a while now...

I've never pre-ordered. They always seem to have some in but they keep it frozen in tubs at the rear of the counter. Apparently there's not much demand for it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The beef cheeks are now going to be a regular dish. I ate a couple of pieces then took the rest out and blended the liquid, star anise etc into a sauce with a good dollop of tomato puree and olive oil. I then finely chopped the meat and added it back into the sauce and had it with pasta. One of the nicest ragu's I've had and pretty cheap. I think the cheeks were only a couple of quid from Crawshore's (sp) and there must have been 4 good portions.

I've never pre-ordered. They always seem to have some in but they keep it frozen in tubs at the rear of the counter. Apparently there's not much demand for it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The beef cheeks are now going to be a regular dish. I ate a couple of pieces then took the rest out and blended the liquid, star anise etc into a sauce with a good dollop of tomato puree and olive oil. I then finely chopped the meat and added it back into the sauce and had it with pasta. One of the nicest ragu's I've had and pretty cheap. I think the cheeks were only a couple of quid from Crawshore's (sp) and there must have been 4 good portions.

I also got some cheeks from Crawshaws. Gonna cook them tomo - a bourguignon recipe. I had them at Artisan recently and they were very good. Pork cheeks are one to try too if you haven't already.

Good tip re the sweetbreads - I must ask my butcher if he can get me some!

• 3 weeks later...
I've got two new fishes to try tonight. Gurnard and pouting. Going to simply fry then add a light sauce of cherry tomato, olives and capers.

Where do you buy your fish taxman? I'm always keen to taste fish other than the usual species like cod, haddock and plaice. Nice recipe for gurnard on the River Cottage site. http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/pot-roasted-gurnard/

Edited by websters gue
link

Where do you buy your fish taxman? I'm always keen to taste fish other than the usual species like cod, haddock and plaice. Nice recipe for gurnard on the River Cottage site. http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/pot-roasted-gurnard/

I got them from Morrisons in Hillsborough. I usually go there to get octopus but we decided on a change this weekend.

I've got two new fishes to try tonight. Gurnard and pouting. Going to simply fry then add a light sauce of cherry tomato, olives and capers.

After fighting the gurnard in order to get rid of the bones I was ready to come on here and denounce it as the devil fish, but the small fillets I got from it were really tasty, it's just a shame they were so small and fiddly.

The pouting was OK, firm, white cod-like fish.

A light sauce of rose wine, olives, cherry toms and capers was wonderful. The long sauteed dish of thinly sliced potatoes, peppers and olive oil was the star of the show, and a meal in itself.

Satiated. :)

• 1 month later...

Not really new but I'm trying my hand at steak and ale pie tonight. Got some shin beef from the butchers and a dark ale which promises flavours of liquorice and chocolate.

I'm doing it with a topping of mash rather than a pastry crust, so more like a beef and ale cottage pie really.