I'm going to try something new every week

taxman

• 1 month later...

Oops, been a long time since I've updated this thread! Mainly because I've not been experimenting with any new ingredients.

Tonight though I'm cooking with Orzo for the first time. Pasta that thinks it's a rice. With a deep mushroom ragout.

Mind you, it's not really something new, it's just pasta in an odd shape.

Whole roasted bream with fennel tonight. I'll have to cut one of the heads off before serving though because a certain person is squeamish.

(whisper....the heads were lovely, I sucked all the meat out before throwing them away...yum!)

Hello Taxman,

I never heard of queen squash :o

Let me know if the result is nice (and the difference in taste/texture between queen squash and butternut squash).

ps: I made slow roasted butternut squash yesterday with a sprinkle of nutmeg and cinnamon, I wanted to add a bit of pure honey but the jar was empty :(

They were great. They look like a rounded, squat butternut. I got two for £3 from Waitrose and I thought they'd be just right to serve individually with the risotto but they had a lot more flesh than I imagined and so there are now leftovers in the freezer.

Taste wise they are not as sweet as butternut but I found it firmer. I scooped out the seeds and fibres and baked for about an hour. They looked fantastic on the plate. I sliced across the top so they had a lid which could be lifted up to reveal the risotto within. Very masterchefy :D

• 5 months later...

Been ages since I've tried something new but someone gave us some not particularly wonderful vodka so I decided to make beetroot and vodka gravlax. It's just gone in the fridge to cure and should be ready on Wednesday.

Been ages since I've tried something new but someone gave us some not particularly wonderful vodka so I decided to make beetroot and vodka gravlax. It's just gone in the fridge to cure and should be ready on Wednesday.

Very nice it was too although I thought it would have had a bit more kick given the amount of vodka and carroway seed I used in the cure.