Should fertility treatment be free on the NHS?

I think it's equally wrong to 'buy sperm on the internet' or whatever. Such as the woman featured in the news who wanted to have a child with her dead husband's frozen sperm. I can't see how it can be morally right to create a child whose father is already dead. Selfish, selfish woman.

Anyway I think if money IS going to be spent on IVF by the NHS, it should only go to otherwise healthy (ideally married imo, after all, if they're willing to make the biggest commitment you can make to another person which is having children together they should be willing to commit to each other first) couples who have the best chance of success. To me it makes financial sense and is in the best interests of the resulting child.

And what if you are single, responsible happy etc, would like to have a child, haven't met anyone worthy of commiting to. I would have a child alone than saddling myself with someone for the sake of it.

If you are going to restrict it, why not on the basis of educational levels, income or intelligence rather than on partnership status? Many women bring up children very well on their own and should have as much right as couples to have a child. That said, I'm not in agreement with unlimited funding for it. We can't all have everything we want in life (contrary to current beliefs) - and I'd give credit to people who'd make sacrifices to pay for at least some of the treatment.

Well it shouldn't be restricted to how my a levels a couple have that's for sure

Why should they not have restrictions on weight? I've fought to have the right of a trial of a Spinal Cord Stimulator to help me walk without severe pain - It wont rid me of the pain, but it will produce a different feeling to the shearing heat of sciatic pain every time I walk .. I know for one that they would advise me to lose weight if I had to for this ... I'd do anything for this trial if can improve my lifestyle only a fraction, so I don't see why overweight people shouldn't have to do something for themselves to get something they want!

For a spinal problem, yes, there are advantages to getting rid of excess weight. For IVF, it's used to simply keep costs down at the expense of people with a higher BMI.

For a spinal problem, yes, there are advantages to getting rid of excess weight. For IVF, it's used to simply keep costs down at the expense of people with a higher BMI.

That isn't true. The vast majority of studies have shown that the IVF success rate is far lower in obese women. In addition, if a woman is severely obese her chances of a) not carrying a pregnancy to term and b) having complications due to the hormonal treatment are much higher. Some women who are told to lose weight and do so then become pregnant naturally.

That isn't true. The vast majority of studies have shown that the IVF success rate is far lower in obese women. In addition, if a woman is severely obese her chances of a) not carrying a pregnancy to term and b) having complications due to the hormonal treatment are much higher. Some women who are told to lose weight and do so then become pregnant naturally.

This is not what I was told by a consultant. Although, what you say, sounds like it would be perfectly credible.

And what if you are single, responsible happy etc, would like to have a child, haven't met anyone worthy of commiting to. I would have a child alone than saddling myself with someone for the sake of it.

If I read your message correctly you are saying that you would knowingly go into having a child as a single parent to fulfill your needs. I appreciate that many couples break up for a multitude of reasons but surely it's not right for any child if the parent starts out to have a child knowing that they are single.

Whatever next? A Paris Hilton dog in one arm and a designer handbag in the other.

I always thought I had a need for a dog but as I was out at work all day I realised that it was a somewhat selfish need.

Do you not think of that as completley selfish? "Mummy why do all my freinds have a daddy and i dont?" "well son i didnt want a man in my life so you have to do without too and if i die tommorow TUFF!" seriousley luv think about how idiotic that is. At least if a family split up the child still see's the dad and has his dads family.

I just LOVE how some people in here are saying NO when they have already got children! For those people i would love to put you in this situation and see how they bloody feel then!!!

Breathe...........

In answer to your question, Infertility treatment IS free if you meet the eligibilty criteria. Although it is quite restrictive.

Someone mentioned the weight restriction as being just a money making ploy, normally i would agree, but actually it isnt! Excess weight has health risks attached when having ivf and iui treatment (in fact excess weight hightens risks of miscarriage and high blood pressure with even normal conception). It is also harder for the consultant to do the process called 'egg collection' when a patient is overweight, thus making it dangerous for the patient!!

In respect of the charges, it is £2995 for ivf in sheffield, personally i dont think that that is that expensive if you save up (a medium style 2 week holiday with spends can cost nearly that) and if it fails at the embryo implantation stage and they have enough eggs to freeze your 2nd ivf is only potentially £1200!

I dont meet free ivf criteria so i am paying and i was pleasently suprised by the pricing structure.

And there are 1000's of kids without homes already.

That is totally irrelevant! How do you know a couple hasnt tried to adopt but been turned down, and then saved up for ivf. Maybe at a later date if ivf is success or even unsucessful that couple will try the adoption procedure again!!

Archived