How are you preparing for increases in gas /electricity/petrol and vat?

I think that the many Liberal voters on here are ashamed that they were duped

Or, know that they were not. After all, the Liberal party made very clear all through the campaign that they would, in the event of a hung parliament, negotiate for a coalition with whichever party had the largest vote and/or number of seats. Since the Tories won on both counts, there is no deception.

It is said that many of the big energy companies will put up the price of gas and electric.

We all know about the increase in Vat in January and see that the price of petrol has gone up again.

With Christmas just over 7 weeks away, how are you preparing to get through these difficult times.

What's the problem ? Just borrow the money - Labour did.

I already did most of that stuff anyway. I walk most places but do need the car sometimes. Not much I can do to reduce bills any further :(

I guess this is where the problem is when people have reduced outgoings down as much as they can.

Working from home has its advantages as savings can be made but then it costs more when you are at home to keep warm.

I guess this is where the problem is when people have reduced outgoings down as much as they can.

Working from home has its advantages as savings can be made but then it costs more when you are at home to keep warm.

true dat.

i saved a fortune last winter on my all electric heating as i spent most of my time out at work. currently off sick for the whole of the winter and been thinking about how i can save electricity by not using the heating.

luckily im in one of these super modern city centre boxes, so it doesnt really get that cold thanks to all the other flats surrounding me, but i have been relying on hot water bottles and blankets when i have felt a chill.

also time to put my summer duvet away now and get the winter one back out :)

limiting my use of the heating to an hour in the morning when i get up and an hour in the evening. (im bearing in mind that as im not out working, im using the cooker, tv. radio. computer a lot more so expecting a higher electric bill....)

wearing lots of layers when i go out, although trying to walk far on crutches is pretty hard work so keeps me warm anyway.

and also drinking lots of hot chocolate and eating soup!

true dat.

i saved a fortune last winter on my all electric heating as i spent most of my time out at work. currently off sick for the whole of the winter and been thinking about how i can save electricity by not using the heating.

luckily im in one of these super modern city centre boxes, so it doesnt really get that cold thanks to all the other flats surrounding me, but i have been relying on hot water bottles and blankets when i have felt a chill.

also time to put my summer duvet away now and get the winter one back out :)

limiting my use of the heating to an hour in the morning when i get up and an hour in the evening. (im bearing in mind that as im not out working, im using the cooker, tv. radio. computer a lot more so expecting a higher electric bill....)

wearing lots of layers when i go out, although trying to walk far on crutches is pretty hard work so keeps me warm anyway.

and also drinking lots of hot chocolate and eating soup!

I can see the down side but there is always an upside!

Anyway it does cost a lot when at work for things such as drinks,meals, bus or car expenses so it will probably work out cheaper to make sandwiches at home.

Layers are always cheaper than turning up the heating, I have 4 on today and have been warm as toast.

Archived