How are you preparing for increases in gas /electricity/petrol and vat?

dont know if i mentioned this elsewhere before,but iv a friend who sticks out 12 garden solar lites,then brings them indoors at night!!!

looks like a spaceship from outside his house!

That's ingenious!

I had a big domestic catastrophe this year which is not covered by my insurance (of course) so I've had to deal with it out of limited funds throughout the year which has been a trial even without the extra pressure from the economy. In one sense it's disciplined me back to my old parsimonious habits, but on the other hand I need to buy large replacement items which I don't really have the funds for.

I came to terms with living with a bare floor as the carpet had to be ripped out, but that floor is an external overhang, which means the room will be much colder in winter. Even in July I noticed a chill round my ankles. I'm going to turn the thermostat down so it's Not-Cold rather than toasty warm. I also need to squeeze in the big purchases before the VAT increase which is a worry. It's going to be a strange SparklyThingMas this year!

As far as petrol is concerned, I have to use my car for work, so I'm just going to have to pay it.

As for gas and electric, I pay monthly, by plastic card, and am well in credit (and gaining all the time), so I'll just be using up some of the credit, to pay any increases.

As far as petrol is concerned, I have to use my car for work, so I'm just going to have to pay it.

As for gas and electric, I pay monthly, by plastic card, and am well in credit (and gaining all the time), so I'll just be using up some of the credit, to pay any increases.

..nice feeling being in credit.

We pay the same every month for gas and electric - that way no shocks in the winter months. We spend a fair bit on heating the house, we'd rather give up other things than be cold. It cost less than a packet of cigs a day, so if we both still smoked - we'd be freezing!

We make lots of homemade soup. Very nourishing, warming, and cheap to make. Most meals are cooked from scratch, so there's very little food wastage in our house! Since I retired, I've hardly spent a penny on clothes, and although we have a car, its mainly used by my OH for work. I walk and use the tram or bus. And I'm grateful for my free pass.

I read the papers online or in the library - buying one is a treat now. And I've not really got my head round how vat will impact on us. Its 2.5% extra, it doesn't apply to most basic foodstuff - so I'm not too worried atm. When we were young, we had to pay mortgage interest of 15% for a time, now that did impact, but we cut other things and I'm sure we can do it again!

Yes I too had a mortgage at that time when rates were very high.Cant imagine that now.

However I do think in those days that bills were rather more affordable like gas and electricity and water rates so that compensated a little.

dont know if i mentioned this elsewhere before,but iv a friend who sticks out 12 garden solar lites,then brings them indoors at night!!!

looks like a spaceship from outside his house!

Or, if you are out at work till late (as I am - working 7am till 7pm), you could probably light your living room, for the few hours before you go to bed, with a solar powered shed light.

I was considering adopting a pensioner to get a cheaper tariff, winter fuel bonus and make a saving on the TV license (opening the door to tell tv licensing to clear off wastes heat you see).

I'll probably just wear a jumper and get a warm on the toaster in a morning.

Right - we have no heating on - can't afford it. Buy very little food - just enough to get by. Have to use the car as really don't want to have to walk ten miles each way to and from work (althoug this is only 3 days a week) - can't afford bus fares - £3.80 each way - not like Sheffield where you get a maximum charge of £1.30 to get into town!

So not really much we can do. Put on layers like others have said or wear my "snuggly" PJ's. Stay in bed most of the day when not working as find that much warmer and don't need to eat as much. Although only tend to have one hot meal a day anyway.

It's quite difficult to cut down on things when you are already down to bare minimum in the first place.

If I had your life I think I'd throw myself in the canal, it sounds to depressing.

Just talking to a guy in a computer shop and he says that VAT increase isn't going to make that much difference to his customers as its only £2.50 on a hundred pounds, whereas if you are buying large items like a sofa, it can make a big difference.

Archived