How are you preparing for increases in gas /electricity/petrol and vat?

This is 2010 we are talking about,the country has gone backwards through bad decisions by succesive incompitant governments who managed to give away all our utilities to other countries.If it was 1940s I could understand the hardships,but not this day and age but then again is this a government scheme to control us and our movements.Do they have people simply studying how to cream as much money out of us as possible.King John and Robin Hood spring to mind and tax evasion.

The interesting thing about the VAT increase is the difference in attitude to it compared with when the previous Government temporarily reduced VAT to 15%. When it went down by 2.5% most people were saying "that`s too little to make any difference".

But now that it`s going up by 2.5%, suddenly "it`s a significant amount" !

Inconsistent or what ?

• 1 month later...

How keep track of your monthly gas and electric usage

and to be able to understand all the different tariffs and rates.

I have compiled a small program that will help you through all the confusing prices and tariffs offered.

The free download website through Google is http://www.energybillcalculator.co.uk

What this program will ask you to do is enter details from your last bill, the prices, rates, payments discounts and meter readings, once you have done this you will be able to see what your monthly use and cost is by entering your own meter reading each month.

The first month may not be correct because it may include more than one month calculation, but once you start entering your future months this will be corrected.

Just one or two points to take into account.

Your calorific value for gas can change over the year this is shown on your bill either in metric or cubic feet, make sure this is correct according to the meter you have, if you are being charged for the wrong meter you could be paying almost 3 times to much for your gas.

Once you are set up and running you will easily be able to check your prices against other suppliers, but this explained in the download.

You will be able to see what a unit and a kilowatt of Gas is costing you and what a kilowatt of Electric is costing you also, how many you have used each month and the cost.

Are you aware that Gas per kilowatt is approximately a third of the price of Electric.

If possible print out the instructions that comes with the download as much more information is available there.

Something to bear in mind, I know I am above an average user but based on what I have used in the past 8 month I expect my bill to be almost as much again for the next 4 months.

The free website through Google is http://www.energybillcalculator.co.uk offers a way to help those that have great difficulty in understanding their Electric and Gas bill.

I put this program together about 3 years ago as a challenge, I wanted a way of being able compile most companies different rates and costs and record them on a month by month basis, so that the user as control of their own account. That's it briefly, more detail is available on

The free website through Google http://www.energybillcalculator.co.uk

Billcalc

Archived