4 year old child can be sued for bicycle accident

I see, it's obviously perfectly fine to cycle or skate on a pavement, the laws against it are just silly nonsense. You know best.

I do hope to be fair that most 4 years olds cycle and skate on the pavement, unless they are in the happy position of living in a cul de sac.

Although its still illegal the alternative could be that they learn to cycle on the road which is a scary thought!

Just found this:

"The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required."

A child is allowed to walk and cycle on the pavement. Had the child been on foot and bumped into the lady and the lady subsequently died, would you allow her relatives to sue?

First I've heard and are you talking about USA or here or both? On foot I would see no issue but if you are controlling something that makes you go faster amongst walking people and the weight of you and it plus speed may knock them over then you should be punished.

Skating's not illegal on the sidewalk dude! Street skating evolved on the sidewalks of the world! AND, without street furniture the trials scene would be non existent! Check out this SICK vid of trials in our fair city of Leeds!

Now tell me those dudes are wrong!

I do hope to be fair that most 4 years olds cycle and skate on the pavement, unless they are in the happy position of living in a cul de sac.

Although its still illegal the alternative could be that they learn to cycle on the road which is a scary thought!

Just found this:

"The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required."

Discretion is a good thing and if kids do cycle on pavements they should be under supervision if there are people around. As I understand it in this case there was no proper supervision. I'd be interested to know the parents reaction and attitude. I suspect this is what made the son want to sue.

Skating's not illegal on the sidewalk dude! Street skating evolved on the sidewalks of the world! AND, without street furniture the trials scene would be non existent! Check out this SICK vid of trials in our fair city of Leeds!

Now tell me those dudes are wrong!

Well it's news to me and I have nothing against skaters, I usually see them do it in wide open concourses, the South Bank in London being a popular one. If someone came hurtling along the pavement amongst a crowd of shoppers then that's a different story in my eyes at least. I can't imagine a copper would ignore it either.

Well, none of us were there and none of us actually saw what happened. At 87, I'd bet this lady's eyesight and reflexes weren't the best, poor thing. She may have walked in front of the children not seeing them and they couldn't stop in time. On the other hand, how fast were they going if they knocked her down? I'm curious to know if the police were ever involved in this and if so, who was cited and for what. I thought anybody could get a copy of the police report, but I could be wrong. Hmmm, wonder if there's a copy available online? That's assuming the police were ever called in the first place, but I'll bet it's not free.

I'm not sure how her son is pursuing this? I'm assuming civilly, rather than criminally. People have been found innocent in criminal court yet guilty in civil court. OJ Simpson is a good example of this.

Archived