Moon lighting firemen

Yes i agree.But you can't single out firemen being the crux of the problem, there are many people in public sector jobs that have a second income and probably not all of them declare it. Lets face it this type of thing happens at the very top of the chain.

All i would suggest is find a second job to support you through the quite times.

My husband was a fire fighter for over 30 years, i don't know one fire man that doesn't have a second job, most do work for each other ,that keeps them all busy just doing work for friends, how about people that do work for their familys on the side ?

We had only firemen working on our house when we first bought it, knowing them all we could leave them in the house all day knowing nothing would fanish :) in turn my husband would work in their houses when they changed shifts.

The union did a few years back did agree to stop the men going to lock-outs as it wasn't fair to the local locksmiths.

Many Airline pilots have second jobs too, they have them to fall back on as their jobs rely on their frequent physical exams, also there's the ones on benefits that are working too.

Interesting, in a way, because fireman expected support during their strike from the working public, but in return seem quite happy to take work away from the working public in return.

Interesting, in a way, because fireman expected support during their strike from the working public, but in return seem quite happy to take work away from the working public in return.

Then again, maybe they do a better job than others, ones that worked on our house did top shelf workmanship.:)

If you had a leaky tap and you're friend next door knew how to fix it, would you ask him or look in the phone book for a plumber ?

If you had a leaky tap and you're friend next door knew how to fix it, would you ask him or look in the phone book for a plumber ?

There's a massive difference between doing a neighbour a quick favour and threatening someones business/livlihood. And it's the 'moonlighters' who actually go seeking the work that seem to be the problem the OP is on about.

Most tradespeople and professionals alike don't enter their vocations because of philanthropy, they seek the best lifestyle they can attain for themselves and their families. Similarly, most customers seek the best deal that is available in a free market, they will not voluntarily subsidise, by way of choosing the highest quote, the job security of the suppliers of the goods or services that they receive.

Archived