Moon lighting firemen

Some people are not aware that some Firefighters are retained (part time) so they do a full time job during the day and work through the night as retained.

My views are if you work full time during the day and you want to work during your evenings doing extra work then why should anyone be unhappy with this?

People can't win, they are slated for not working then slated for working??????

Surely if these firemen are spending their 'resting' hours doing fiddle work, it will affect their ability to perform the their best when being paid by the tax payer to undertake a duty?

Maybe it's time to enforce a ban and make it a sackable offence if found out.

Oh yes that's the way to do it, just make hard workers unemployed.....:loopy:

If that was to happen with Firefighters then it would be unfair to not ban everyone from doing a second job, this would force people into working without declaring every day! Really good view you have there...doh!

While ever people want to save money you will always have people doing services for them. If I got recommended a man to fix say a broken window cash in hand but he was cheaper than the tradesman with his own company, of course I would choose the cash in hand man! So to stop the men working on the side, you would also have to stop the people who are willing to pay.

If that was to happen with Firefighters then it would be unfair to not ban everyone from doing a second job, this would force people into working without declaring every day! Really good view you have there...doh!

Like Frank said, the time off is so they're supposed to be resting.

I don't want to be rescued from a burning house by a fatigued fire-fighter who's spent a day fitting a kitchen. Or have you never made a mistake when you're tired?

I've certainly no issue with any of them doing something which won't affect their role as a fire-fighter (so Denlin your argument about sour grapes is a moot point).

Interesting quote in this article.

Mr Wrack [general secretary of the Fire Brigades Union] said: "The new patterns will make it hard for fire fighters with young families to see much of their children.

Considering many are doing two jobs, they obviously don't care that much about their kids!

I don't want to be rescued from a burning house by a fatigued fire-fighter who's spent a day fitting a kitchen. Or have you never made a mistake when you're tired?

I've certainly no issue with any of them doing something which won't affect their role as a fire-fighter (so Denlin your argument about sour grapes is a moot point).

Not only that, but how many sick days do we tax payers end up paying for because the firemen just don't fancy a shift after a hard days kitchen fitting?

Mod Note

Posts containing personal comments have been removed.

Discuss the issue without the personal comments or the thread will be closed and further action may be taken.

Interesting quote in this article.

Considering many are doing two jobs, they obviously don't care that much about their kids!

My husband being a firfighter for over 30 years was hardly ever home for christmas morning, I never complained neither did he, it was called...work, and to say they don't care about their kids is not only cruel to say but daft, working to put your kids through collage isn't easy, some things you have to forfeit, getting holidays off like everyone else is one of them , they know before they take the job, but to say they don't care about their family because they have extra time to make money is :loopy:

But I can see other peoples point as jealousys always been a factor in jobs like that......missed the chance? too bad, moneys good, overtimes great, pensions top shelf :thumbsup:

But I can see other peoples point as jealousys always been a factor in jobs like that......missed the chance? too bad, moneys good, overtimes great, pensions top shelf :thumbsup:

Why do you have to use jealousy in your argument? You were doing well up to that bit.

Incidentally, my dad was never home on Xmas morning because of work.

I have four jobs but always been able to perform when the need arises,

so fitting a kitchen shouldn't be a problem to a fit fireman.

I have four jobs but always been able to perform when the need arises,

so fitting a kitchen shouldn't be a problem to a fit fireman.

Fitting a kitchen shouldn't be a problem for a fireman.

Especially if he's spent his last shift playing pool, handing out fire prevention leaflets, and poking cats out of trees.

But fighting a large fire for several hours and dragging people out of burning buildings may be a problem if he's spent all day prior to a shift fitting a kitchen.

Archived