Trick or treat, what's the protocol?

Are you a home-owner, do you opt for 'trick' or 'treat'?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a home-owner, do you opt for 'trick' or 'treat'?

• Trick
    • Treat
    • Other (please describe)

We have loads of children at the door, I buy candy that we don't like as we end up eating it before and after :)
We don't get a lot of kids up our end of the state, mostly little guys who wouldn't know a good trick if their lives depended on it. When I left UK in 1968 there was no halloween among UK kids, because Guy Fawkes Night was only a few days later. We get Kit Kats and Reese's Pieces so that when the kids don't show up we have plenty of what we like/

Ignore.

Resist the tide of American cultural imperialism. Did "trick or treat" exist in this country 40 years ago? Of course not.

It's for the little "darlings" own good as well, too much sugar makes them hyper and rots their teeth.

Cruel to be kind and all that..... :D

It's 6:30 PM in Southern Florida where my Grandkids Megan 9, Michaela 8, and Austin 3 are about to issue out on another annual mission of American Imperialism. I'm not sure how it got over there. It didnt exist in 1968 when I left Sheffield, but I'm sure the CIA was too busy keeping the commies from the door. Perhaps it was all those Brits who arrived in Disneyworld at the end of October and saw how much these Yankee brats loved it.:)

Do kids in England actually resort to petty vandalism (tricks) if not given treats?

It's never happened in my part of the world. When the treats have run out we switch off the porch light and shut the front door which is a sign respected by all not to knock on the door and bother us any further

Ive never been tricked in 42 years. On the few occasions when we ran out of candy, we've sent the older kids out on a second trip to another neighborhood to get candy for the older kids coming to our neighborhood for the same purpose. It gets to be fun and seldom causes any trouble. That's why we have bicycle cops.:) Happy Halloween, Harley

Gettin out of hand this crap. Its for kids not bloody 16 year olds. Gave loads of Haribo sweet out to the little s***s who just retort dont like them. Next year gonna feed them laxetive chocolate in the shape of little turds.

I abhor Halloween and as such ignore the literal beggars knocking on my door.

To the parents who actively engage their children to go trick or treating, do you ever consider what might be in the 'treat' your child has been given.

Never in a million years would I encourage my children to eat food/sweets from total strangers and as such I find it bizarre that parental responsibilty goes right out of the window on 31st October when knocking on strangers doors.

You don't have to worry, the myths about poisoned sweets are just that:-

Myths

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/poison/halloween.asp

I don't mind indulging the local children once a year. When my kids were young we'd do the pumpkin thing and they'd go trick or treating round all our neighbours, whose kids would also be trick or treating us, a bit like the village that lives by taking in each others washing. All those children are grown up now and the younger families on the road don't really know us, so we get fewer and fewer knocking at the door, but I always get some sweets in just in case.

Because I was going to Fright Night, I did what I did last year, left a pumpkin at the drive gates, with a cauldron of sweets. Each time I've come home, everything but the sweets is still there. In fact this year, there were even a few lollipops left, nom, nom! I also have a cauldron of sweets in the shop to give out. It's a just a bit of fun for the littlies, how can some people be such a load of old miseries.

Fright Night was ace again this year btw!! It just gets better and better.

Samhain blessings to all SF Pagans, Summer's End and Winter's Beginning. Next stop - YULE!!

Ive never been tricked in 42 years. On the few occasions when we ran out of candy, we've sent the older kids out on a second trip to another neighborhood to get candy for the older kids coming to our neighborhood for the same purpose. It gets to be fun and seldom causes any trouble. That's why we have bicycle cops.:) Happy Halloween, Harley

Likewise, a happy Halloween to you buck.

One or two kids have said my Halloween mask was pretty neat and I've said "Whad'ya mean squirt. I'm not wearing one" :hihi:

Archived