Ryanair booking error, what to do?

Since this exact problem was featured on BBC's watchdog programme this week, you'd better go to i-player and watch the programme. It will cost you to change the name, even if it's the mistake of one letter being different.Don't try to fly with the tickets either, as if the name on the tickets doesn't match the passport, you'll be in trouble.

From the Watchdog site:

Richard Golebiowski booked a family holiday to celebrate his wedding anniversary and the 21st birthday of his twin daughters. While booking, he failed to spot a spelling mistake in his name. The single letter error meant he had to cancel and rebook his British Airways flights to South Africa. As a loyal BA customer he felt particularly aggrieved, the extra charge for the one letter name change had stung Richard for over a thousand pounds.

"Absolutely dumbstruck. [i was] so annoyed that there was no leeway there with British Airways to get the charges reduced or to have anything done but to have new tickets issued."

And that's British Airways :o (although according to BA they only charge £30, the extra fees were from Thomas Cook, who the tickets were booked through)

In September I booked with an agent of Olympic Airlines online and I duplicated my name in my wifes' christian name box, informed the company by e-mail within minutes and after a couple of hours and no reply, phoned them, no joy, it cost me £70.

Consider it a lesson learned and suck it up.

Archived