Car Insurance Policy Holders - Cautionary Tale

Something to think about if you are considering adding a named driver to your policy.

I recently added a young family member as a named driver to my policy for 3 weeks only whilst we searched for a car for them. Less than 5 days before it ran out the car was involved in an accident that in no way could be blamed on anyone else but this named driver. The other vehicle was parked and empty and thankfully nobody was injured. The level of damage to my car left me no alternative but to claim on my insurance.

The upshot of all this is that I will now be considered a high risk by insurance companies, have lost my No Claims Bonus (not protected - thought it was) after 25 years of driving with only one accident claim over 10 years ago that was settled amicably with the party at fault (admitted).

So if you're thinking about putting someone else, especially a young and inexperienced driver on your policy think again because it has the potential to cost you an awful lot of money over many years :(

Archived