Do you trust the BBC to tell the truth 100% of the time

Do you trust the BBC to tell the truth 100% of the time.  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Do you trust the BBC to tell the truth 100% of the time.

• Yes
    • No

BBC has one year to improve 'formulaic and derivative' TV channels

The BBC has been given a one-year deadline to drastically improve BBC One and BBC Two after its "formulaic and derivative" daytime programmes were criticised in a damning report.

The BBC Trust, which scrutinises the corporation’s output on behalf of the licence fee payer, said daytime television on the BBC had become too dominated by shows about "collectables hunting and property". Although it did not identify specific programmes, daytime BBC shows such as Bargain Hunt, Escape to the Country, Cash in the Attic and Homes Under the Hammer are likely to be at risk in the wake of the report. The Trust also said that BBC One needed to show more "range, variety and surprise" in its early evening programming.

"Some viewers believe parts of the schedule on each channel lack quality and have become too weighted towards… ‘collectables hunting’ and property," said the Trust.

"Audiences have told us that their quantity makes some parts of the BBC’s daytime schedule seem too formulaic and derivative."

Instead, the Trust wants the BBC to do more current affairs and drama during daytime. The review is also likely to spell the end of American repeats such as Diagnosis Murder and Murder, She Wrote.

The report criticised the lack of "fresh and new" programmes in the early evening on BBC One, saying that the channel had broadcast only 61 different programme titles between 7pm and 9pm in 2009 - down from 115 in 2005. Some of this drop can be attributed to the establishment of The One Show in its five-day-a-week slot at 7pm. But the Trust said that distinctive new shows, such as science magazine Bang Goes the Theory, are too few and far between.

“We would expect to see signs of improvement in audience perceptions by the end of 2011 and will consider at that point whether we need to ask for further action from BBC management to address audience concerns,” said the Trust.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/8117986/BBC-has-one-year-to-improve-formulaic-and-derivative-TV-channels.html

Now a BBC Trust report confirms that much of what the BEEB shows is of a poor quality. I have been castigated for condemning 'Cash In The Attic' as dreadful programming. Now I feel vindicated.

No - like it said in the first paragraph of the story - daytime programmes. Not when they get their biggest audience.

More selective out of context rubbish from Interviewer :loopy:

I also remembered something re the BBC being left wing, it wasn't leftist when it put Griffin on Question Time. The old rules were that a party had to go beyond the 5% threshold in a general election but this was altered for him. The BBC also broadcast a 'white season' a few years back to counter the idea it was full of programmes about Mali or Kenya.

Now a BBC Trust report confirms that much of what the BEEB shows is of a poor quality.

It says "some people" think that of "some of the channels" at "some times of day".

"BBC management argued that progress is already being made."

“Programmes such as Wallace & Gromit’s World Of Inventions, Five Daughters and The Trip are clear examples of our renewed commitment to this kind of programming.”

So there you go, you'll have nothing to moan about soon ;)

What does the report say about the programming outside of these specific times?

I have been castigated for condemning 'Cash In The Attic' as dreadful programming.

No, you've been castigated for continually misrepresenting the BBC by only mentioning programs such as "Cash In The Attic", while steadfastly ignoring the many posts that point out the shows which the BBC excel at and are the world leaders in producing. No-one has defended "Cash In The Attic", merely pointed out that it's not representitive of the programming and quality of the BBC.

That this fact is completely beyond comprehension says it all. Desperation.

Now I feel vindicated.

That's because of your inability to fully comprehend the points many people have made, and your tenuous grip on reality.

I also remembered something re the BBC being left wing, it wasn't leftist when it put Griffin on Question Time.

Wow. You must live in an alternative reality to everyone else. The BBC changed the format of 'Question Time' for the first time in its entire run just so that the BNP leader would face a relentless assault from an extremely hostile, hand picked audience of BNP opponents. It was a bear pit, and could not be a better example of the BBC displaying its leftist credentials in order to publicly attack a political party it opposes.

The old rules were that a party had to go beyond the 5% threshold in a general election but this was altered for him. The BBC also broadcast a 'white season' a few years back to counter the idea it was full of programmes about Mali or Kenya.

This so-called rule was not altered for Nick Griffin. UKIP, the Greens and even the Respect party had appeared on the programme numerous times before Griffin did. None of these parties have ever achieved anything near to 5% of the vote at a UK general election.

Wow. You must live in an alternative reality to everyone else. The BBC changed the format of 'Question Time' for the first time in its entire run just so that the BNP leader would face a relentless assault from an extremely hostile, hand picked audience of BNP opponents. It was a bear pit, and could not be a better example of the BBC displaying its leftist credentials in order to publicly attack a political party it opposes.

This so-called rule was not altered for Nick Griffin. UKIP, the Greens and even the Respect party had appeared on the programme numerous times before Griffin did. None of these parties have ever achieved anything near to 5% of the vote at a UK general election.

Respect had an MP and the Greens were soon to do so and had numerous councillors. I am sure Griffin felt the publicity and respectability of Question Time far outweighed the 'conspiracy' to place nasties in the audience. The radical left were outraged at the BBC and tried to storm the place. I wonder if you were there?

Respect had an MP and the Greens were soon to do so and had numerous councillors. I am sure Griffin felt the publicity and respectability of Question Time far outweighed the 'conspiracy' to place nasties in the audience. The radical left were outraged at the BBC and tried to storm the place. I wonder if you were there?

The Greens did not have an MP for the many times that they appeared before the 2010 general election, and UKIP still doesn't have one. Your stated position that the rules regarding the 'Question Time' panel were altered specially to accomodate Nick Griffin is entirely wrong. The BBC delayed letting the BNP on to the show until they could not credibly do so any longer.

I would not refer to Trotskyite marxists as 'radical'.

Archived