Do you trust the BBC to tell the truth 100% of the time

Do you trust the BBC to tell the truth 100% of the time.  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Do you trust the BBC to tell the truth 100% of the time.

• Yes
    • No

Wow. You must live in an alternative reality to everyone else. The BBC changed the format of 'Question Time' for the first time in its entire run just so that the BNP leader would face a relentless assault from an extremely hostile, hand picked audience of BNP opponents. It was a bear pit, and could not be a better example of the BBC displaying its leftist credentials in order to publicly attack a political party it opposes.

A political party that is opposed by the vast majority of the country - what did you expect - a hand picked audience of fascists?

The Greens did not have an MP for the many times that they appeared before the 2010 general election, and UKIP still doesn't have one. Your stated position that the rules regarding the 'Question Time' panel were altered specially to accomodate Nick Griffin is entirely wrong. The BBC delayed letting the BNP on to the show until they could not credibly do so any longer.

I would not refer to Trotskyite marxists as 'radical'.

There are various views of 'the rules' and I have never seen a definitive article but I believe the BNP's votes in general elections were generally dismal, certainly compared to the Greens and UKIP etc. Argument can rage over whether it was right for him to go on but a leftie liberal Guardian reading BBC would have simply refused on the dismal votes grounds.

Trotskyite marxists are not radical? Yes I'm sure there is one in every living room.

House of Commons

Tuesday 9 November 2010

BBC World Service

Mr Ben Bradshaw (Exeter) (Lab): "Why should the licence fee payer in Britain pay for programmes that they cannot receive and probably would not be interested in receiving, and why, therefore, should the BBC continue to fund them?"

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm/cmtoday/cmdebate/01.htm

Anybody who pays the BBC TV licence fee will fund BBC World Service programmes that they cannot watch, or receive.

Anybody who pays the BBC TV licence fee will fund BBC World Service programmes that they cannot watch, or receive.

BBC Farsi/Persian and the World Service are paid for by The Foreign and Commonwealth Office, not the license fee until 2014. I see you forgot to mention that, reality is so inconvenient ;)

It is the most widely recognised international broadcaster, reaching 188 million people every week.

Since the world service provides largely unbiased and accurate news in areas where none exists it's a vital service as way to counter insurgency and repression.

If just one would be terrorist disbelieves what they're being told because they listen to the world service, or one person in Iran decides that stoning people to death is barbaric because of the views they've heard on it, then it's well worth the money (IMV). Not to mention the service it provides for UK citizens who happen to be overseas.

BBC Farsi has also recieved numerous international awards:-

"On 4 November 2009, BBC Persian TV was honoured for the "Clearest coverage of a single news event – television" by the Association for International Broadcasting at its annual global media excellence awards at a gala event in London, England."

"On 20 November 2009, BBC Persian TV was honoured at the 12th annual Hot Bird TV Awards in Venice, Italy. It was named best news channel for its portrayal of unbiased news in a complex and fast-moving environment."

At least try to look beyond the end of your own nose. It's not all about you you know. If the service provided puts the UK in a favourable light and aids in national security then the (relatively small) cost would seem to be well worth it.

I don't trust any of the press.

Because of the job I do (I'm an intensive care nurse) I often see news stories 'from the inside' as it were, and I find it incredible how many mistakes and misinterpretations of the facts are published (not to mention presenting opinions of individuals as fact).

The press just wasnt to sensationalise everything - what we don't see is the devastation that can cause for individuals have done absolutely nothing wrong.

You seem to have forgotten the bit that currently the World Service is paid for from general taxation, and that licence fee payers will only start to pay for services they can't currently receive in 2015, and that the reason for this is not the BBC trying to screw licence fee payers, but because the Government tried to get rid of paying for anything in their spending review.

There is one advantage of all of the BBC's output coming under the licence fee - savings in administration and management. Currently the World Service (along with BBC Monitoring and a few other services) is paid for completely seperately and must therefore be accounted for seperately. If any licence fee paid for resources (such as newsgathering, studios, crew, office space) has to be used then the that money then has to be transferred. By merging the two areas there's a lot less bueracracy.

"Only 1 in 6 older people say TV licence fee is value for money

Television is failing older audiences, according to new research, with fewer than one in six people over the age of 55 saying they are happy with the programmes that they get in return for their licence fee.

The survey also said that only 18 per cent of the over-55s believe that the television licence fee is good value for money. “I would have thought that was an overerestimate,” said Richard Ingrams, editor of The Oldie magazine. “I hardly watch any of the BBC programmes. I’d sack all the people running the BBC - it’s a radical move but it has to be done. Bring in some people who know about creative television."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/8134940/Only-1-in-6-older-people-say-TV-licence-fee-is-value-for-money.html

Time for the BBC TV licence fee to go the same way as the Brontosaurus - extinct. At least the Brontosaur was a productive member of society, that harmed nobody - unlike the BBC spongers who demand money with menaces...

"Only 1 in 6 older people say TV licence fee is value for money

Television is failing older audiences, according to new research, with fewer than one in six people over the age of 55 saying they are happy with the programmes that they get in return for their licence fee.

The survey also said that only 18 per cent of the over-55s believe that the television licence fee is good value for money. “I would have thought that was an overerestimate,” said Richard Ingrams, editor of The Oldie magazine. “I hardly watch any of the BBC programmes. I’d sack all the people running the BBC - it’s a radical move but it has to be done. Bring in some people who know about creative television."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/8134940/Only-1-in-6-older-people-say-TV-licence-fee-is-value-for-money.html

Time for the BBC TV licence fee to go the same way as the Brontosaurus - extinct. At least the Brontosaur was a productive member of society, that harmed nobody - unlike the BBC spongers who demand money with menaces...

This is the real reason why some people on this forum are so obsessed with keeping the license fee. They realise that, in spite of their insistence that most people don't mind buying a license, if people were given the choice to opt out of watching the BBC a lot of people would choose to not get a license and just watch the other channels. Despite their denials, they are clearly worried that if the license went and the BBC was made a subscription channel, they would end up paying more as many people don't think the BBC are worth the money. Well, if they think the BBC are the best thing since sliced bread, why not pay for it themselves rather than forcing everyone who wants to watch other channels to subsidise their favourite programs? The technology is available to encrypt the BBC channels and they wouldn't even need to show adverts if most people would choose to subscribe to the BBC, would they?

Well, if they think the BBC are the best thing since sliced bread, why not pay for it themselves rather than forcing everyone who wants to watch other channels to subsidise their favourite programs?

The people who support the BBC TV licence fee are selfish. Its the undeniable truth. They want everyone else to fund their viewing habits, even people that don't watch any BBC content at all. They think it is the duty of people to pay for their favourite television programmes.

Archived