Do you trust the BBC to tell the truth 100% of the time

Do you trust the BBC to tell the truth 100% of the time.  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Do you trust the BBC to tell the truth 100% of the time.

• Yes
    • No

BBC to cut online budget by 25%

The BBC is to cut about 200 websites as it reduces the amount of money it spends on its online output. The changes, which will see BBC Online's budget cut by £34m, will also result in the loss of up to 360 posts over the next two years.

Among the sites to close include teen services Switch and Blast and community site 606.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12265173

The BBC has over 400 (count them!) stand alone websites and webpages! Excellent value for BBC TV Licence fee payers - I can't do without 'Blast', whatever it is...

The BBC became a propaganda machine for climate change zealots, says Peter Sissons... and I was treated as a lunatic for daring to dissent

Institutionally biased to the Left, politically correct and with a rudderless leadership. This is Peter Sissons’ highly critical view of the BBC in his new memoirs, in which he describes his fascinating career over four decades as a television journalist. Here, in the latest part of our serialisation, he reveals how it was heresy at the BBC to question claims about climate change . . .

My time as a news and current affairs anchor at the BBC was characterised by weak leadership and poor direction from the top, but hand in hand with this went the steady growth of political correctness. Indeed, it was almost certainly the Corporation’s unchallengeable PC culture that made strong leadership impossible.

The sense of entitlement with which green groups regard the BBC was brought home to me when what was billed as a major climate change rally was held in London on a miserable, wintry, wet day. I was on duty on News 24 and it had been arranged for me to interview the leader of the Green Party, Caroline Lucas. She clearly expected, as do most environmental activists, what I call a ‘free hit’ — to be allowed to say her piece without challenge.

I began, good naturedly, by observing that the climate didn’t seem to be playing ball at the moment, and that we were having a particularly cold winter while carbon emissions were powering ahead. Miss Lucas reacted as if I’d physically molested her. She was outraged. It was no job of the BBC — the BBC! — to ask questions like that. Didn’t I realise that there could be no argument over the science?

I persisted with a few simple observations of fact, such as there appeared to have been no warming for ten years, in contradiction of all the alarmist computer models. A listener from one of the sceptical climate-change websites noted that ‘Lucas was virtually apoplectic and demanding to know how the BBC could be making such comments. Sissons came back that his role as a journalist was always to review all sides. Lucas finished with a veiled warning, to which Sissons replied with an “Ooh!”’

A week after this interview, I went into work and picked up my mail from my pigeon hole. Among the envelopes was a small Jiffy Bag, which I opened. It contained a substantial amount of faeces wrapped in several sheets of toilet paper. At the time no other interviewers on the BBC — or indeed on ITV News or Channel Four News — had asked questions about climate change which didn’t start from the assumption that the science was settled.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1350206/BBC-propaganda-machine-climate-change-says-Peter-Sissons.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Much, much more on the BBC's bias and untrustworthiness on the issue of global warming in the link. It should be noted that Caroline Lucas MP is on record as saying that flying to Spain is as bad as knifing a person in the street...

My interest in climate change grew out of my concern for the failings of BBC journalism in reporting it. In my early and formative days at ITN, I learned that we have an obligation to report both sides of a story. It is not journalism if you don’t. It is close to propaganda.

The BBC’s editorial policy on climate change, however, was spelled out in a report by the BBC Trust — whose job is to oversee the workings of the BBC in the interests of the public — in 2007. This disclosed that the BBC had held ‘a high-level seminar with some of the best scientific experts and has come to the view that the weight of evidence no longer justifies equal space being given to the opponents of the consensus’.

The error here, of course, was that the BBC never at any stage gave equal space to the opponents of the consensus.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1350206/BBC-propaganda-machine-climate-change-says-Peter-Sissons.html#ixzz1C4i8v3cP

The BBC cannot be trusted.

The irony being that this comes from the Daily Mail, a paper renowned for just making up lies.

Amazing how you'll trust a source thats been discredited, time and time again, and proven to peddle lies time and time again when it suits you ;)

All very nice, but again, which organisations to you trust without question? Which do you believe 100% of the time?

The irony being that this comes from the Daily Mail, a paper renowned for just making up lies.

Amazing how you'll trust a source thats been discredited, time and time again, and proven to peddle lies time and time again when it suits you ;)

All very nice, but again, which organisations to you trust without question? Which do you believe 100% of the time?

So you too believe that the media spouts lies and propaganda, you merely disagree about the order and degree of culpability of those propagating it.

So you too believe that the media spouts lies and propaganda

I never mentioned propoganda. I believe some media outlets make mistakes or are in error, while some others deliberately lie.

I'd put the BBC in the former, and the majority of Interviewers sources in the latter.

you merely disagree about the order and degree of culpability of those propagating it.

I don't think it's as simplistic as that, I'm not that cynical.

It would be nice to know which news sources Interviewer believes in 100% of the time, apart from the DM of course, though. No fear of that (obviously) ;)

I never mentioned propoganda. I believe some media outlets make mistakes or are in error, while some others deliberately lie.

I'd put the BBC in the former, and the majority of Interviewers sources in the latter.

I don't think it's as simplistic as that, I'm not that cynical.

It would be nice to know which news sources Interviewer believes in 100% of the time, apart from the DM of course, though. No fear of that (obviously) ;)

I prefer to use BBC/Guardian/Independent/Haaretz and some left sources Counterpunch is quite good, because the left leaning types and the laissez faire neo-liberals have a harder time arguing against their idols.

Individuals like Chomsky and Pilger are worth a look too.

Use wider sources for reference.

BBC wants taxpayers' money from fund used to help starving in Africa

By Jonathan Wynne-Jones, Media Correspondent.

BBC executives are trying to raid Government funds intended to tackle world poverty in an attempt to lessen the impact of cuts on the World Service.

A secret memo leaked to the Telegraph shows that the state-funded broadcaster has lobbied ministers to divert £25 million out of the budget of the Department for International Development (DfID) and into its own finances. The corporation claims that the move would be justified because World Service broadcasts can "contribute to the stabilisation of Pakistan and Afghanistan". DfID is one of only two Whitehall departments that have escaped the squeeze on public spending. Its budget will rise with inflation over coming years.

The appeal by the BBC follows last week's announcement that five radio language services are to close, in the wake of demands from the Government for the World Service to cut £46 million from its £237 million-a-year budget by 2014.

According to the leaked BBC memo, sent to MPs, the rationale behind taking £25 million from the budget used for improving sanitation, health care and literacy in developing countries would be that the world's poorest countries would benefit from having access to the corporation's broadcasts.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/8290498/BBC-wants-taxpayers-money-from-fund-used-to-help-starving-in-Africa.html

There you have it. Those greedy, selfish men and women at the BBC believe that watching BBC television is much more important than a clean water supply or drainage. Who needs vital health care? Or to be able to read and write? As long as a starving person can absorb the BBC's mind numbing propaganda is all that really matters in the developing world...

Anybody still trust the BBC?

Archived