Do you trust the BBC to tell the truth 100% of the time

Do you trust the BBC to tell the truth 100% of the time.  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Do you trust the BBC to tell the truth 100% of the time.

• Yes
    • No

No it's not, you didn't ask that question because you know that lots and lots of people would answer 'a lot, and more than most other news sources'. That's why you had to ask about whether we trust them '100%'. It's loaded to try and make it look like the BBC isn't trusted, when it largely is, which clearly bothers you.

Trust doesn't have degree's you either trust something/one or you don't...

I'm not talking about them making mistakes, we all make mistakes, mistakes are not really a trust issue.

Bending reality seems to be a BBC speciality, and not just on the big issues. Some people might call it by another name - propaganda. Here is just one example of the BBC not telling the whole truth in a documentary:

"BBC faked housing estate documentary with scenes of prowling hoodies from an area ... three miles away

Emma Bees, 32, a carer, said: 'I was shouting at my TV as I watched it. I couldn't believe they had twisted things so much. I'm really angry about it. You don't get much trouble in some parts of Lawrence Weston but they tried to make it seem like you do.' Unemployed Nick Bowering, 23, said: 'It is frustrating because there is not much we can do about it. We had no idea when they were filming that this is what they were going to make us look like.

'To top it all off they use footage of Southmead - it is clearly not around here. My brother lives in Southmead and he identified those shots as definitely being filmed in Southmead."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1292737/BBC-faked-housing-estate-documentary-scenes-hoodies-area-3-miles-away.html

indeed, i trust large news corperations more than anonymous amateur videos on youtube that you cant even know arent doctored, edited or made to portray something completely different

It depends what they are reporting....

Celebrities? well you can tell the tabloids almost anything and they will publish it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/oct/14/starsuckers-tabloids-hoax-celebrities

The same team suckered the BBC in to doing a report on urban fox hunting not so long ago...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/aug/06/urban-fox-hunt-chris-atkins

The BBC are better than other media outlets, but they shouldn't be trusted 100%

Another issue that Charlie Brooker illustrates here is the quality of journalism. BBC News stories are often so dumbed down as to be mostly meaningless anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpVTUdfcEMg

i suppose it comes down to which side of the political fence your on tbh
That plays a large part in it of course, but I definitely think it boils down to a lot more than that.

like the bbc are construed as being left wing bias from the right

the daily mail etc are construed as right wing by the left

The BBC are thought of as holding a left wing bias by the right, for sure. But the Daily Mail are thought of as being biased towards the right by anyone with a brain.

Trust doesn't have degree's you either trust something/one or you don't...
That's clearly not true, otherwise why would you ask 'do you trust the BBC 100%'?:loopy:

I'm not talking about them making mistakes, we all make mistakes, mistakes are not really a trust issue.
You're not nearly as subtle as you think.

Another issue that Charlie Brooker illustrates here is the quality of journalism. BBC News stories are often so dumbed down as to be mostly meaningless anyway.

Much of the BBC's output is 'dumbed down' these days, to compete with the commercial channels in the ratings battle. The quality of the modern BBC is dreadful compared to how it used to be. BBC executives are more concerned with paying themselves huge salaries than making quality television that people want to watch.

And the BBC spends less on new programming despite inflation-busting increases in the licence fee in the past few years. Spending on new programming dropped by 13 per cent over a four-year period which saw the licence fee steadily rise, between 2005 and 2009. BBC1's spending on 'first run' domestic programming dropped by almost 10 per cent during this time period, with a 15 per cent drop on BBC2.

Show me the youtube links I have posted in that thread please...8)

I didn't mention youtube and neither did longcal. I believe you responded to longcal's comments regarding trusting sources of information, which compared the bbc and youtube, in the thread I posted the link to :)

Much of the BBC's output is 'dumbed down' these days, to compete with the commercial channels in the ratings battle. The quality of the modern BBC is dreadful compared to how it used to be. BBC executives are more concerned with paying themselves huge salaries than making quality television that people want to watch.

And the BBC spends less on new programming despite inflation-busting increases in the licence fee in the past few years. Spending on new programming dropped by 13 per cent over a four-year period which saw the licence fee steadily rise, between 2005 and 2009. BBC1's spending on 'first run' domestic programming dropped by almost 10 per cent during this time period, with a 15 per cent drop on BBC2.

Why not just put a link to the licence fee thread for if people want to read your interminable postings? So you've got issues with the BBC - still the most trusted source of political reporting in the country.

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=45249

Archived