Care for care research

Did anyone see professor Heinz Wolf(sorry I might have that slightly wrong) and his research on care for older people?

He advocates that volunteers care for older people and in return receive the equivalent hours back when they themselves need care.

I was just wondering, as this government wants me to work until I am 67 and I work full time, when will I be able to accrue any care hours by volunteering. :help:

weekends and evenings?

he wasn't saying no care unless you volunteer, he was saying extra care if you care for others, apparently it works in japan but in a country where everyone expects everything for nothing I can see why people would find it abhorrent!

Aaah well, I didnt actually say, that I find it abhorrent and I for one dont want something for nothing.

I work caring for older people myself, full time. I need my evenings and weekends(when I get them off) to rebuild my energy reserves for the coming weeks work. I also need to see my family, including visitng my elderly mother.

So therefore I would miss out on any "extra care", because I would not be willing to spend every living moment caring for older people. I am in my late fifties now and find that a full time job takes most of my energy reserves.

So really I was speaking from a personal point of view and wondering why one should get extra care and others not. Surely everyone should receive the care they need?

As far as I'm concerned, if you're receiving extra care credits in return for volunteering then that's not really volunteering, is it? Volunteering is working without being paid in return and this may not be money, but it's still getting people to do something in return for being rewarded.

I dread to think of the quality of work and attention paid by someone who is only doing it to get extra credits for their own care. What happened to volunteering because you think it's a good thing to do?

Yes I agree Medusa.

If I have any strength left to volunteer, when I eventually retire, I would like to have the opportunity to choose where I want to volunteer my time. I may want to go in a totally different direction, from my current career. So I would , in a way, be penalised for that.

Doesnt seem right to me

These volunteers will need training and CRB checks and they will have to follow care standards, which will all cost money.

Will they have to pay for their own CRB checks ( which last time I knew, wre about £70)

Archived