Legal Action Taken

Hey Guys/Gals,

How we all doing?

First of I'd just like to say im not sure if this is the right thread to be posting this here, so if its not my apologies.

I have a couple of question in regards to an Opticians.

The Story.

I recently went to my local opticians to go for an eye test as i work in front of a computer almost 14 hours a day, and i have been having headaches and eye straining problems for about a year.

Knowing nothing about glasses i went seeking advice on what i needed in terms of glasses to help reduce my headaches and migranes.

After an Eye test i was told i needed a slight alteration in my right eye, and that to help with the headaches and eye straining, they would prescibe me with transistion lenses.

I agreed to this as i thought these were the glasses i needed to meet my needs. I then took the prescription to my work and was told by them that prescription i have is for transistions which do nothing to help reduce headaches and eye straining from computer screens.

So i got a 2nd opinion from Specsavers and was told by them that i needed VDU glasses, Not transistions, as transistion are for driving, and using them when going in and out of daylight.

So my dilema is, i called them to tell them that transistions are not what i need and that i need VDU glasses, by this time the glasses had already been ordered and delivered to the opticians for me to pick up.

Now the opticians want me to pay for them.

I called them on 3 occasions to discuss this and rectify it, to which i've had no luck with, i've also sent 2 letters to them to rectify it, to which i've had no reply to.

I have now recently recieved a letter from a debt collection agency for the amount of £188.89, threatning court action if not paid.

and that is where I am now.

the 2 questions i have is...

1, can they expect a payment from me, when i physically dont posses or own the glasses in question?

2, Can they expect a payment even though they are not the glasses that i need medically?

I've spoken to Trading standards and they said that if it goes to court i can try going down the road of miss selling, but id rather it didnt go to court.

I've also said on all conversations and letters that i am willing to pay for the product aslong as they meet my needs.

And advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

the 2 questions i have is...

1, can they expect a payment from me, when i physically dont posses or own

Yes they can. The glasses have been made just for you to your prescription so i think you have a legal obligation to pay for them,

2, Can they expect a payment even though they are not the glasses that i need medically?

Again, im pretty sure they can. Although it seems unfair seeing as they clearly cocked up your glasses by selling you the wrong ones.

If it were me id be ringing trading standards for advice.

Good luck :)

It sounds to me as though the headache/eye straining was caused by viewing your pc screen with uncorrected vision. The prescription for your glasses will fix that, so in respect of your problem they've offered a solution. Whether you wanted photochromic lenses is another matter.

Ps: did you know that your employer may be required to pay for eye tests and corrective glasses for you as a VDU operator?

I'd suggest that selling transitions lenses for driving is mis-selling too, because they don't transition when you're behind glass.

agreed, id also note that even i dont even drive nor do i have a full driving licence, i also work in an office for 12 hours a day so im never outside anyway.

if they are simply transitions, they work on UV light, which afaik, does not emanate from computer screens. You might as well use sunglasses! I had a pair of transitions for driving: they were awful. Better to have optical sunglasses made imho. but that's by the bye. I reckon pay up. You had your eyes checked, placed the order, and now the suppliers need paying. If 'work' is the place whose word you believe, then why did they not carry out the eye tests and advise before you went to the optician?

I'd suggest that selling transitions lenses for driving is mis-selling too, because they don't transition when you're behind glass.

Sorry to pick up on this, but my transitions work when I'm in the car...and are actually quite good.

I agree that the transition lenses have been totally mis-sold, and would be very wary of this optician as they obviously haven't got a clue!!

Edit....mis-sold for VDU work

if they are simply transitions, they work on UV light, which afaik, does not emanate from computer screens. You might as well use sunglasses! I had a pair of transitions for driving: they were awful. Better to have optical sunglasses made imho. but that's by the bye. I reckon pay up. You had your eyes checked, placed the order, and now the suppliers need paying. If 'work' is the place whose word you believe, then why did they not carry out the eye tests and advise before you went to the optician?

Reading the OP it sounds like the glasses had optically corrected as well as photochromic lenses.

I need glasses for VDU work as one eye is slightly different to the other and i was getting terrible headaches. I can't see any reason why you'd need transition lenses; that sounds like total mis-selling.

If you only need them for VDU work, your employer should be paying for them, btw (well, for a basic pair of corrective glasses; I paid the difference to get a style I liked)

Archived