Bar and Grill Sheffield, Leopold Square

chrislawrie

I apologise for pointing out the obvious, but is Exposed really going to negatively review somewhere that spends £1000 ish a month on a full page advert in their magazine? I would suggest not, a pity as Clarets previous reviews seemed quite good. Clearly her perception is going to be clouded by by her publicist.

if you advertise with most mags around Sheffield they throw in a free review .... a good one that is.

Some publications may throw in a good review in return for advertising.

However I have been reading Claires blog for long enough now to quite confidently tell those people who are saying that it only got a good review because they advertise in Exposed to go and boil their heads.

I have been to many of the places she has been to and not had a bad experience in any of them.

The people who are trying to pull the review down have a typical Sheffield attitude. Just because some have had a bad experience at Bar & Grill doesn't mean all have. Plus at least they are trying to change their menu for the better.

Some publications may throw in a good review in return for advertising.

However I have been reading Claires blog for long enough now to quite confidently tell those people who are saying that it only got a good review because they advertise in Exposed to go and boil their heads.

I have been to many of the places she has been to and not had a bad experience in any of them.

The people who are trying to pull the review down have a typical Sheffield attitude. Just because some have had a bad experience at Bar & Grill doesn't mean all have. Plus at least they are trying to change their menu for the better.

ok ok ... i am just offering my review of the previous post..... people in glass houses and all that.

At least on here people have the right to reply to reviews, unlike magazines.

So my review on this would be is to not always belive the reviews in magazines, as most do offer a write up for free if you advertise in them - fact

More independent restaurants in the city centre would be great - as long as they were significantly better than the Bar and Grill.

From my experience the food is average at best, ditto for the surroundings and service, while the prices are ludicrous.

I have no problem paying a lot of money for good food, but the Bar and Grill simply isn't worth it.

In Leopold Square, you'd get much better food for half the price at the likes of the Aagrah. And you'd be less likely to come out seeing spots on your retina from the bizarre attempt at mood lighting.

• 2 months later...
Looks very expensive for Sheffield, have they done any market research??

That says it all doesn't it?

"very expensive - for Sheffield".

Personally I'm delighted to see a restaurant like this come to town. I've eaten there already and thought it was really good, classy, upmarket, and yes, a little bit expensive perhaps - but I don't mind paying a bit more for that kind of dining experience.

That says it all doesn't it?

"very expensive - for Sheffield".

Personally I'm delighted to see a restaurant like this come to town. I've eaten there already and thought it was really good, classy, upmarket, and yes, a little bit expensive perhaps - but I don't mind paying a bit more for that kind of dining experience.

Have you tried the Wig & Pen yet?

Hi Claret,

no I've not actually.

I went there about...

ooh, maybe 18 months ago, when I heard it had been done up and was doing good food.

I went in with my wife and, to be honest, we stayed about 5 minutes and left again.

It was full of not very nice people. The kind of folk that used to do the traditional pub crawls around town when I was a kid. Grapes, 3 Tons, Golden Ball, Wig and Pen, Museum, Stonehouse.

The recent reviews may tempt me back again - but even if the food is brilliant you want to have a nice dining experience and not have to muscle alongside neanderthals - at least I do. I'll keep an open mind on it though and thanks for pointing it out to me.

Hi Claret,

no I've not actually.

I went there about...

ooh, maybe 18 months ago, when I heard it had been done up and was doing good food.

I went in with my wife and, to be honest, we stayed about 5 minutes and left again.

It was full of not very nice people. The kind of folk that used to do the traditional pub crawls around town when I was a kid. Grapes, 3 Tons, Golden Ball, Wig and Pen, Museum, Stonehouse.

The recent reviews may tempt me back again - but even if the food is brilliant you want to have a nice dining experience and not have to muscle alongside neanderthals - at least I do. I'll keep an open mind on it though and thanks for pointing it out to me.

Hmmm strange take on it - whenever I go it's full of lawyers! But do try again - it's now owned by the people who run the Milestone. I've eaten/been for drinks there a few times since Milestone took over (around Nov last year) and always enjoyed it.

We tried the Bar & Grill last week, fantastic.

We will definately go there again. It's got class without all the gimmicks

which some restaurants seem to favour, mentioning no names but they know who they are.

There are not many English food places in Sheffield and I wish them well.

I can't wait to go back.

Archived