Bar and Grill Sheffield, Leopold Square

chrislawrie

I would love to give them a chance, but it is sooo expensive. The cheapest bottle of wine is £15 and they list Sparkling wine and Champagne together but don't serve cava or prosecco so the cheapest bottle is £34.40. Starters are around £6 - £7 and a bowl of mussels is £17! This has got to be one of the most expensive restaurants in Sheffield at the moment. Milestone and Morans are cheaper, as is the London Club which serves very similar food (and a bottle of Prosecco for £17).

Myself too, if I am going to spend £40+ a head on dinner I may as well spend an extra £20 and go to Fischers where I know I am going to get Michelin food and service. Where as at a newly opened city centre bar and grill that may, or may not be the case.

If the opening offer of 50% discount was extended I would happily go and eat and offer an impartial review for them! Even if they want me to go on a Tuesday when they are probably less busy ;)

Another factor to consider is that if I am in Leopold square there is a fairly good chance I am going to be out all night, and wouldn't necessairly eat a full 'restaurant' type meal and am more likely to go to Zizi or somewhere for a pizza. As for just a meal, the parking isn't great and that would make me less likely to just eat in the city centre.

I agree, its almost as if the head chef was previously head chef of piccalinos and cannot cook outside of a specification book. Maybe if he spent less time with his head up his own arse (or staring out the window) and learned how to cook he would not be under the illusion that ripping off other peoples ideas does not make a successful business model.

Besides, go spend your money in the good restaurants and pubs of Sheffield so they can prosper instead of wasting your money in places like this.

I have been and font consider myself a SF moaner and groaner! Unfortunately I'd have to agree with others that it is overpriced for what it is. The food may be locally sourced, organic, line caught yadda yadda but the menu is uninspiring and as a veggie the choice is VERY limited-unusual even for a grill-type restaurant. As someone above points out just pay a very small amount more and go to Fischers at Baslow Hall.

I do think though the location will save them, as people will book for it being in Leopold Sq, and good luck to them, because it's great to see non-chains opening up.

• 2 weeks later...

We went on Friday for drinks after work. Was quiet in there for a Friday night. We all enjoyed it- love the low hanging table lights and waitress service for drinks. Menu looked pricey but had some interesting choices. Spoke to the manager, he seemed really nice. No pianist on which was a shame. Excellent views over Leopold Square. I really want this place to do well, but I fear the prices will put people off eating here!

Went with friends to the soft opening. I can tell you the food was great, good quality, and at 50% off I was laughing.

We could not criticize above the usual communication problems any new venture will have between waiting staff, kitchen and bar. I have seen the full price menu and I think compared to Zizzi downstairs, Strada across the way I think its going to be difficult without a real USP for Bar and Grill to compete without offers. But as a venue, its great and I really want it to succeed to keep Sheffield fresh and competing with other cities as a destination for people to visit and enjoy.

But I think positive criticism is the key here. Damning a place is not helpful, but I think its interesting to note that there is a consensus view that the prices are unlikely to attract a regular crowd as they are quite high. In any other city, I dont think these prices are beyond the pale, but in Sheffield perhaps this is a bit optimistic. The reason I think Leopold Square has done well is that the chain restaurants are affordable and good quality, I think as long as Bar and Grill slots itself easily in as an alternative to the others then lets welcome more choice.

But perhaps given the climate, the prices may need a look over.

Most restaurants work on a food profit of 50-60%.

If a steak costs £5.25 + the Garnish etc £7 total they would sell for circa £17 (inc VAT), their fillet is £20.95 meaning they are closer to 76%, which for a restaurant is high!

???

50 to 60% food gross profit margin - and which restaurant is this?

70% at least with some items plus 75%, you would only go under 70% for signiture dishes such as steak, lobster etc

with labour % running at 20 to 30%, these prices are acceptable

Archived