Bar and Grill Sheffield, Leopold Square

chrislawrie

It dosent matter what a bar / grill or restaurant is called or where it is localed.. if the food is good, and i mean very good and the prices are reasonable then it will be busy and people will flock there.

Therefore its very important that first time customers have a positive and happy experience.

Thats my tip for you.

Yes this place does cost a few pounds more than similar places but when we visited I can only say we enjoyed the food and the service was good. If we were in the area and decided on the spot about grabbing a meal then i'd probably try somewhere else.

• 2 weeks later...

I went this Saturday just gone for my birthday with 6 of my friends and have to say i have mixed reviews. The location is fabulous and the decor is fantastic too.. It was a real warm elegant feel to it and our course it has winning views overlooking the beautiful Leopold Square (not quite sure the City hall tram stop is quite as appealing on the other side of the restaurant). We were greated by a friendly young lady behind the bar who asked how she could help? i asked for 3 pints of Budweiser (£3.80 a pint) and she replied saying she couldnt serve alcohol, i asked what she could do and she said she would get someone who could help. We were seated and greeted by another waitress, very attentive and friendly. We ordered our starters and mains and sat back and relaxed. The starters were decent, although a tad on the pricey side, but overall, good. I had the Asian sharing platter for 2 which was full of flavour had a good variety of prawns, squid, chicken and other treats. For main i ordered the 12oz fillet (£28.95) i asked for it to be cooked Medium. When my steak arrived the waitress called out 12oz fillet and handed it to me... It was infact a rib eye that she gave me. I told it that it wasnt a fillet to which she replied saying it was.. I eat enough steaks to know a fillet isnt flat with a 3 inch piece of fat around it. Anyway she took it back and brought in back and infact it was a rib eye, which was for one of my friends. My fillet swiftly followed and looked really nice, chargrilled and a whopping hunk of meat!! i cut into it and was disappointed to find the middle was purple jelly, which is certainly not medium. I know some restaurants may varie in their ideas of medium, but at best this was rare!! Also it came with a red wine sauce and i had ordered a peppercorn. I have never sent a steak back in a restaurant but i felt at paying £30 and for it to be so far off the mark i didnt have a choice. I told the waitress and she looked a little annoyed, i couldnt work out if it was me she was mad at or the chef? 15 minutes later and with all my friends just about polished their mains off mine returned. Much better but still too rare, again with parts that were like purple jelly. I ate it as the majority of it was lovely. But i did leave a small bit that was too underdone! the waitress did say that my steak would be on the house, which is a generous touch, so top marks for that.. But i would have much prefered to pay £30 for a perfectly cooked steak rather than have a free one which wasnt to my liking. A couple of other slight niggles were that i asked the waitress if if i could swap my vine tomato that comes with each steak for a hash brown (which comes with the 5oz steak) - she said they didnt do hash browns (it said they did on the menu) fair to her she did check and they did do hash browns, but they wouldnt swap without charging me extra. Fair enough!! the last grumble was that each steak comes with vine tomato, a choice of sauce and a watercress salad, so i ordered a side portion of chips.. to my annoyance each steak came with chips (so i had too lots - one of which i didnt finish)

All in all the meal was ok for the group, i just think i was a little unlucky. When paying middle to high prices you expect a little better in my eyes.. I dont think i would go back as i have had better steaks/service in sheffield.

Similar experience for me..

We went as a group of 6 just before Christmas

I love this place's decor and the feel of it, but the services frustrates me. why cant they get it right?!!

It wasn't that busy. I asked for a booth and the manager did that thing where he inhaled and went, oo im not sure, and went to 'consult' the bookings book. sure enough, there was room for us. but why not just say, yes, take a seat, welcome to the restaurant..

the steaks were all rare when medium rare was ordered, and they confused the rib eyes/ fillets etc, and the steak sauces were wrong.

the desserts were wrong also, but they did give us a free bottle of wine to be fair, as the service was also very slow

the waiter was very knowledgeable about the wine and was very friendly. can't say the same for the manager! he kept telling us stories about how busy they had been the night beofre, and how busy they expected to be the next night. not interested!

its a shame, because they have obviuosy got a great menu and lovely place but the staff are not working together well.

I went here last night, very good atmosphere and attentive staff. The food was nice, but over priced. We had pre ordered as we were a large party, many of us had steak. Although we had asked for the steaks cooking in various ways (from blue to well done) they all seemed to be rare or medium at the best. Watch out for the service charge that is automatically place on your bill.

Would recommend if you like an expensive rare steak, otherwise there are plenty of cheaper places where you can get the same if not better food.

Archived