Bar and Grill Sheffield, Leopold Square

chrislawrie

Watch out for the service charge that is automatically place on your bill.

Having worked in the States for 6 years and being paid solely on tips I am a big believer in them. Though they should give good service if they take the liberty of adding it on. We used to average 20% of the bill, though the service was as good as anywhere in the country.

It encourages staff to work hard and ensure you enjoy the meal, as the link between their pay and your happiness is much clearer. As opposed to 'I get £6 an hour whether you like it or not'

I went here last night, very good atmosphere and attentive staff. The food was nice, but over priced. We had pre ordered as we were a large party, many of us had steak. Although we had asked for the steaks cooking in various ways (from blue to well done) they all seemed to be rare or medium at the best. Watch out for the service charge that is automatically place on your bill.

Would recommend if you like an expensive rare steak, otherwise there are plenty of cheaper places where you can get the same if not better food.

Where?

I went for a fillet steak on Wednesday at an Ecclesall Rd restaurant. £19.60 for the steak. I don't mind paying even more for quality but it was so bad I sent it back. The texture was very wrong and the meat was falling apart as if it had been slow cooked! The second steak was no better - but due to being very hungry ate it anyway. Terrible experience.

Where?

I went for a fillet steak on Wednesday at an Ecclesall Rd restaurant. £19.60 for the steak. I don't mind paying even more for quality but it was so bad I sent it back. The texture was very wrong and the meat was falling apart as if it had been slow cooked! The second steak was no better - but due to being very hungry ate it anyway. Terrible experience.

You asked where I am talking about. If you read the title of this group it is called 'Bar and Grill Sheffield' hence why everyone is talking about there experiences at 'Bar and Grill'. It in Leopold Square.

Having worked in the States for 6 years and being paid solely on tips I am a big believer in them.

I think service in this country needs to go a long way before the tipping culture improves. I tip if I get service I think worthy, but hold on to my discretion not to tip in light of anything substandard. Its variable in the US, had a horrendous experience recently when a woman was openly hostile asking for her tip, when I said I would leave it on the table rather than hand it straight to her (simply because I was not giving her 20% as we had to go to the bar both times as she was talking to the other staff rather than providing table service). The expectation of a tip can blur the line between demanding good service and greed.

The service in Bar and Grill was good enough when I went, although it echoed the other forum member's experience of "I have a steak here, not sure what one, not sure how its cooked".

• 4 weeks later...

Archived