Time to end the universal right to vote?

The requirement to pay taxes is irrelevant to the right to vote. Some people pay tax and can't vote; others can vote who pay no tax.

I unintentionally tied payment of taxes to the right to vote.

However anyone who is a UK citizen, of voting age, mentally competent (meaning not mentally challenged), not in prison should have the right to vote.

Denying anyone the vote who meets the above qualifications even if they're not that well educated has to be wrong.

Requiring tests can open the door to corruption by people empowered to give these tests. Anyway from my experience knowing what a party or politician stands for doesn't hold a lot of water in the real world. A lot of them lie, twist facts and do the old "about turn" once thay get into power

That's invariably the sticking point on any such reform suggestion; there is no fair criterion by which you can exclude people not fit to vote. At least, not in practice; you could have a minimum intelligence level in theory but it's impossible to actually do, since there is no objective measure of intelligence. (How about "you want to vote for that lot? Clearly you're not intelligent enough to be allowed to vote. Oh, look! My party has scored a landslide victory!")

Archived