Must be good but cheap!

Bit of an extreme example I know, but there's a reason why you can buy a 100g bar of 'chocolate' for 60p and another bar of chocolate for £2.

Frequently, that reason is because you're buying exactly the same thing from a shop with lower overheads. That's not a very good example to prove your point!

Frequently, that reason is because you're buying exactly the same thing from a shop with lower overheads. That's not a very good example to prove your point!

You either misunderstood my point or I didn't make it very clear. You can buy both bars of chocolate in the same store (Tesco for example) A cheap bar of 'chocolate' (notice the use of apostrophes, as in my previous post) in no way compares with proper chocolate (Green and Black's, Lindt, Willie's etc..) which is obviously dearer as it's the real thing! Cadbury's should be sued for calling their product chocolate as it's merely a cheap sugary confection!

My point is proven here as many people don't understand the difference and they may be the same people who think that a cheap quote for doing 'supposedly' the same job as a dearer quote is going to result in the same result! ... totally false economy! Cheap stuff is a rip off ... you get what you pay for! :loopy::)

Exactly we get what we pay for, and this can and is applied to everything in life.

If you want something done/repaired you are not just paying for them to do it, your paying for their experince and good workmanship.

If your buying something electrical, you paying for the quality that usually lasts, whereas you buy an iron for example for a tenner, theres more than a good chance it will break!

My point is proven here as many people don't understand the difference and they may be the same people who think that a cheap quote for doing 'supposedly' the same job as a dearer quote is going to result in the same result!

I repeat. Sometimes it does. Believing that something is certain to be better for no other reason than because it is more expensive, is only going to cost you money.

I repeat. Sometimes it does. Believing that something is certain to be better for no other reason than because it is more expensive, is only going to cost you money.

Sorry you misunderstand my point ... guess that's where people go wrong and there're so many cowboys around. :|

It's not wrong, lets say for example you have your roof done and you get a few quotes for around 3 grand and then you get one for £1500. There is no way you will get the same quality of work done for that price, and then may probably end up having the work re-done.

Same can be applied to clothes, if you buy a coat from Primark it may be cheap but it will not last as long as a decent more expensive one would.

It's not wrong, lets say for example you have your roof done and you get a few quotes for around 3 grand and then you get one for £1500. There is no way you will get the same quality of work done for that price, and then may probably end up having the work re-done.

Same can be applied to clothes, if you buy a coat from Primark it may be cheap but it will not last as long as a decent more expensive one would.

No, he's right. I've used buy now on ebay for an item exactly the same for 2thirds less...that item was no less of an item because of it's reduced price as the item selling at an increased price was any better.

I think that depends on how well you know the roofer and their standards though, doesn't it?

If the roofer doing the job happens to live in the house attached to yours, for instance, then they aren't likely to do the job in a shoddy way if their house will be flooded when the repaired roof gives in as well as your own.

There's a cheap price and then there's a fair price for getting quality workmanship.

Cheaper is not necessarily worse, but then more expensive is also not necessarily better. When I needed my windows doing I got a number of quotes, including one for over £4000 from a very reputable (but expensive) company and one for £1700 from an equally reputable company, for the same windows with the same specs (including the same energy rating, length of guarantee etc). Does that make the £4000 windows automatically better? I think not.

I said in my post "you get a few qoutes for around 3 grand, and then one for £1500"

The point I was trying to make is if it is alot cheaper than it should be then chances are it's not going to be very good. This isn't exclusive to roofers/builders, it can and is applied to everything.

If something sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

Archived