Must be good but cheap!

It's not wrong, lets say for example you have your roof done and you get a few quotes for around 3 grand and then you get one for £1500. There is no way you will get the same quality of work done for that price, and then may probably end up having the work re-done.

Same can be applied to clothes, if you buy a coat from Primark it may be cheap but it will not last as long as a decent more expensive one would.

My bold

As long as it is decent and not just more expensive!! Some of the "label" tat sold is not as well made as Primark's stuff. But the people who buy it don't care, as long it's got the right name on it! :loopy:

Personally, I aim for good and reasonably priced, rather than cheap or overly-expensive.

But you can't always rely on a firm, just because it's a "name" - always best to go on personal recommendation, if you can.

I don't, I'm just telling you it's wrong.

I'm making a perfectly valid point! (through experience) Cowboy builders, etc etc proliferate through shoddy workmanship in the understanding that many people don't know what to expect. So many times have I seen friends who've had work done 'on the cheap', only having to have it pulled down/scrapped to have it done by someone who knows what they're doing.

If you don't understand my point, may I politely point out that you're the sort of person they're preying on. I've used many trades and am pretty capable of uderstanding a good job and a bad one.

I myself have been approached and done work for British Heritage on restoration of Tudor buildings and Burleigh house on the re-manufacture of antique furniture, I can assure you that when people want a job done properly they don't go for the cheapest!

As I said earlier ... I hate shoddy workmanship! :gag:

My bold

As long as it is decent and not just more expensive!! Some of the "label" tat sold is not as well made as Primark's stuff. But the people who buy it don't care, as long it's got the right name on it! :loopy:

Personally, I aim for good and reasonably priced, rather than cheap or overly-expensive.

But you can't always rely on a firm, just because it's a "name" - always best to go on personal recommendation, if you can.

I understand what you mean, maybe my post should have been worded a little better.

In a lot of cases, you are just paying for the name not the quality.

However I have to admit I have bought several expensive 'named' items in my time and usually they have been really good and lasted! So they're not all bad.

Perhaps 'good but cheap' means they want a cheaper price for cash-in-hand?

For large projects (extensions/roofs) I would want a tradesman with a good reputation & references that I can look at. For a good reputation I would pay more, but they are often cheaper (they don't raise their prices every 5 minutes & are not trying to fleece you).

It's often the more expensive tradesmen you have to watch out for (especially if you're a woman or older person who is assumed to be stupid...) - they up their prices because you probably don't shop around and you can be bamboozled. Or so they think! It's happened to me. It's amusing to watch them back-peddling when they realise you can talk their language:hihi:

I like tradesmen in their 40s & 50s. Usually, they've been doing the job donkey's years & are steady, reliable & know the old ways of doing things (things that last 30 years & not 5 minutes using modern methods...). At a sensible price too (using the 'going' rate, rather than too high or low).

Archived