Cheap car insurance for young drivers

my best option was to be insured on my parents insurance

Which is fronting and is illegal if its your car and you drive it the majority of the time.

You will also never build up NCD and therefore never be able to afford your own insurance.

If you can't afford to have legal insurance don't buy a car.

My cousin's youngest has just turned 18 and pays £1850 TPFT on a 1.2 Corsa with my cousin (50 year old female) as a named driver. It saved £400 doing that. He spent all his savings on the insurance so has to save up for next year when its still going to be £1500 +.

my best option was to be insured on my parents insurance

As mentioned above, this is illegal if you're the main driver. One of my drinking buds works for an insurance company. He was only telling us last week that every single claim of a young driver on a parent's insurance is now investigated thoroughly, and that they're refusing to pay on hundreds of cases.

I did it myself (and had an accident) years ago, and it was paid out. Times have changed.

My OH still pays a fortune. His quotes were coming in at £2000+ but got some knocked off after speaking to the ins company over the phone - hes been driving a company vehicle for 3 yrs but for some reason couldnt claim 3yrs NCB. Still, they rang his work and confirmed his story and knocked off £850. Then after a year, hes added me onto it with a provisional license so its shot back up :hihi:

Which is fronting and is illegal if its your car and you drive it the majority of the time.

You will also never build up NCD and therefore never be able to afford your own insurance.

If you can't afford to have legal insurance don't buy a car.

My cousin's youngest has just turned 18 and pays £1850 TPFT on a 1.2 Corsa with my cousin (50 year old female) as a named driver. It saved £400 doing that. He spent all his savings on the insurance so has to save up for next year when its still going to be £1500 +.

yes but most do this i do it for partner as would cost her in exsess of 2000 a year if not and more to the point she does get no claims on it so does build her own ncd and id love to no how anybody would no how often she drives the car lol

Archived