Woman who stabbed MP gets life

The Judge's comments (as reported on the BBC news) were interesting.

He sentenced her to life, with a minimum tariff of 15 years.

The sentence is life. She must serve a minimum of 15 years before she can be considered for release (not must serve 15 years and is then to be released.)

He also said that she should be considered to be a threat for the forseeable future.

Presumably if her case is put to a parole board in 15 years' time, then that parole board will be aware that she claimed that although she had ruined her life it was worth it, (not a lot of remorse there) they will consider the judge's comments and they will consider her attitude and behaviour during the next 15 years.

Her attitude today will count against her.

The judge's comments will count against her.

She may be granted parole in 15 years' time - or she may not. She is serving a life sentence.

15 Years!!! Thats ridiculous because some really high profile murder cases the sentence can be as low as 10 years before parole! I have to believe that the 15 year sentence is only because the victim is an MP!

I don't understand why the people that shouted abuse in court were not arrested, isn't that contempt of court? And didn't they have a go at one of the jurors as they left court, surely that must be arrestable?

I read it was because no one made any actual complaint though they could have been done independently by the police under the Public Order Act.

Archived