Sheffield cleansing dept1970's-1980's anyone who used to work there ?

kazumah

I didn't work there but came on to say, welcome to the forum Kaz :wave:

thanx for nice welcome. my first time on any type of forum came across a thread by accident looking for something else and got a little hooked what a trip down memory lane reading some of the blogs

Anyone out there used to work for sheffield cleansing dept 1970-1990.?

I started as junior clerk in 1974 h.o at that time was based in new oxford house on barkers pool. my name is karen and I worked for the dept till 1987.

My father, Harry May, worked in that department until about 1983. He still going strong at 89. Did you know him?

sure do remember him he was one of the trade waste inspector & a lovely man. Please ask him if he remembers me I was a cheeky madam in those days and a redhead ( still am with a litttle help) Glad to hear he's still around ask him to share some old memories with you. I'd love to hear them!!:)

sure do remember him he was one of the trade waste inspector & a lovely man. Please ask him if he remembers me I was a cheeky madam in those days and a redhead ( still am with a litttle help) Glad to hear he's still around ask him to share some old memories with you. I'd love to hear them!!:)

Hi Karen,

How nice that you remember him. I will certainly ask him if he remembers you, when I call home at the weekend. He still visits Tony Hammond who used to work there too.

Dad is still driving around and generally keeping active. He and my Mother used to visit us every summer in Canada, from 1975 up to 2007. They find it too tiring now, so we visit them instead.

Its great to hear he's still active. The Tony you mentioned, wonder if thats the Tony who was in charge of the fitters shop at bernard rd depot?

Give your dad my regards. I don't live in sheffield now ( although my family still do ) I live in Leamington spa Warwickshire. But plan to move to Ghana west Africa (my husbands country of birth ) in the next few years.

Its great to hear he's still active. The Tony you mentioned, wonder if thats the Tony who was in charge of the fitters shop at bernard rd depot?

Give your dad my regards. I don't live in sheffield now ( although my family still do ) I live in Leamington spa Warwickshire. But plan to move to Ghana west Africa (my husbands country of birth ) in the next few years.

"That's interesting, my uncle worked in West Africa for about 10 years, starting in the early sixties, mainly in Accra, Ghana. In fact my cousin was born over there. He brought me two Ashanti stools and a table with an elephant base, which I shipped over to Canada when we came here.

Hi hazel, The world is smaller than we think isn't it! Actually Accra is where we plan to live when we move, in fact we are going for a visit in december and spending christmas there. We are hoping to build or buy a property there although its a tricky business in Ghana you have to be so careful or you can end up buying land from somone without title to it. my friends sister just built a beautiful huge detached house and the government claimed back the land & forced them to demolish the house. Heartbreaking. I don't want to be in that situation so we're being cautious. What I really want is a beachside plot so we can have a guest house or a small beach resort. Like the idea of breakfast by the waves every morning:!!

Archived