Sheffield cleansing dept1970's-1980's anyone who used to work there ?

kazumah

Hi Kazumah, My son worked at Lumley Street although he did go up to Bernards Road on some sort of rota basis he is called Paul,it's strange you now being in Leamington as my wife moved up to Sheffield from Wellesbourne a good few years ago now. A couple of names spring to mind from Lumley Street, Paul Coggin who I beieve was a shop steward, a chap called Andy and Rob the painter who I think still works there and Geoff who was the chargehand sadly I cant put surnames to these people.

Hi again Karen,

My Dad, Harry May, does remember a redhead at work, although he wasn't sure about the name. It's hard to talk to him on the phone these days, as he is getting pretty deaf. So I didn't get any office stories from him. He has finally broken down and is going for a hearing aid next week.

I mentioned Tony Hammond, who also worked in Cleansing. He was a trade inspector I think, but he may have left before you started there. He left to open a bakery at Firth Park, which did well for many years but is long gone now.

I can understand the lure of a warm climate Karen. I find England pretty cool even in summer. However we often come over in September and have had quite good luck with the weather then. Here in Ontario, we have hot summers but very cold winters of course.

You are right to be cautious when moving overseas. Government officials don't always play by the rules and bribery and corruption are a big problem in many countries. We have friends trying to sell overseas property and the problems are unbelievable. Anyway, good luck with your project and enjoy your Christmas visit.

• 1 year later...
My son worked in the bodyshop and the person in charge there was a chap called Tony Coupland who I am told sadly died a few years ago

Hi, I used to work at the Cleansing department in the 70's,80's and 90's. I bumped in to an old colleague a few weeks ago and he is still in touch with Tony Coopland who is still very much alive! A lot of people who I knew have sadly passed away though, frightening how time goes although a few are still working there for Veolia.

Hi, I used to work at the Cleansing department in the 70's,80's and 90's. I bumped in to an old colleague a few weeks ago and he is still in touch with Tony Coopland who is still very much alive! A lot of people who I knew have sadly passed away though, frightening how time goes although a few are still working there for Veolia.

Hi what did you work as? wondering if I would have known you what's your name? I was Karen Brookes then. I started at the offices in town as enquiries clerk & later moved to bernard rd depot and worked for Robin McCorkindale who was manager in charge of Street cleansing I worked in the office near the main gate with Eileen Lenthall & at one time Mabel & Glyniss.

Hi. my Dad worked there for quite a few years until he passed away in the mid 80s. He was a bin Lorry driver who also spent some time mending the lights in council flats, and doing public toilet maintenance. He was called Dennis.

Hi what did you work as? wondering if I would have known you what's your name? I was Karen Brookes then. I started at the offices in town as enquiries clerk & later moved to bernard rd depot and worked for Robin McCorkindale who was manager in charge of Street cleansing I worked in the office near the main gate with Eileen Lenthall & at one time Mabel & Glyniss.

Hi Karen, I do remember you. My name's Paul and I did the opposite to you, I worked at Bernard Road from 1975 to 1981 and then moved to the egg box in 1981. I was in Wages as it was called then. I worked for Cleansing until 1998 when the Councils payroll was outsourced. I moved out of payroll and gradually lost touch as Cleansing eventually was privatised. I remember Eileen, Mabel and Glyniss, I know Eileen has sadly passed away but know nothing of the others. Do you mean Robin Cordock on Street Cleansing?

I only came across this thread by chance a few weeks ago which is why I hadn't posted earlier.

Archived