Bizarre: 1000 people living in a 200 mile long underworld..

These are people who've hit the lowest level of desperation but some at least have still managed to create something with a certain dignity and ingenuity. But why is the world's richest most powerful country (still, just about) unable to provide for the traumatised veterans, the mentally ill and those whose lives have generally gone unpredictably haywire? They're survivors, but it doesn't say much for the system does it? I suppose Las Vegas is used to people losing everything and seeing the extremes of life, that's the nature of its industry. Mad place.

But why is the world's richest most powerful country (still, just about) unable to provide for the traumatised veterans, the mentally ill and those whose lives have generally gone unpredictably haywire?

They're not unable. Many Americans - and Nevada is one of the most solidly Republican states - take the hardline capitalist view that taxes should not exist, and each individual is entirely responsible for his or her own welfare. (I've seen badges out there with slogans such as "*You* are not entitled to what *I* have earned!")

Archived