Nightmare scenario of Dutch referendum returns to haunt EU

Both Wilders and the SP are backing a referendum on the proposed EU treaty changes (Photo: Flickr)

LEIGH PHILLIPS

02.11.2010 @ 16:58 CET

EUOBSERVER / BRUSSELS - The nightmare scenario of another referendum on a change to the EU treaty in the Netherlands, five years after the country rejected the bloc's proposed constitution, could return to haunt European leaders, with the hard-right Dutch Freedom Party (PVV) of Geert Wilders on Tuesday (2 November) announcing it is considering proposing just such a vote.

For full text link to http://news.uk.msn.com/forum/thread.aspx?board=00000071-0328-0000-0000-000000000000&thread=5bc83b56-930f-41ca-94df-e1844ee49500&_nwpt=1

---------------------------------------------

This should prove interesting. Note the Dutch voted no against the EU Constitution (revamped to Lisbon treaty) in 2005.

Could see some fireworks from this quarter.

Extract from article in post #1:

Quote:

Leaders were petrified that any major change to the EU treaties would set off a chain of referendums in the UK, Ireland, the Netherlands and possibly elsewhere, which they are convinced they would lose, as voters have their say on how leaders should have handled the economic crisis.

Unquote.

I care.

Both Wilders and the SP are backing a referendum on the proposed EU treaty changes (Photo: Flickr)

LEIGH PHILLIPS

02.11.2010 @ 16:58 CET

EUOBSERVER / BRUSSELS - The nightmare scenario of another referendum on a change to the EU treaty in the Netherlands, five years after the country rejected the bloc's proposed constitution, could return to haunt European leaders, with the hard-right Dutch Freedom Party (PVV) of Geert Wilders on Tuesday (2 November) announcing it is considering proposing just such a vote.

For full text link to http://news.uk.msn.com/forum/thread.aspx?board=00000071-0328-0000-0000-000000000000&thread=5bc83b56-930f-41ca-94df-e1844ee49500&_nwpt=1

---------------------------------------------

This should prove interesting. Note the Dutch voted no against the EU Constitution (revamped to Lisbon treaty) in 2005.

Could see some fireworks from this quarter.

Well that looks to be a first for Sheffield forum - somebody linking to a post they made on another forum :hihi:

:hihi:Wonder how many other forums are being plagued by our ubiquitous friend!

A lot, although my main forum is the MSN political forum. Been a member since 2008. Prior to joining it was largely controlled by europhiles. That is no-longer the case. All the europhile arguments had been exposed and shot down. The MSN forum has since changed. Used to possess 3 forums. Political, General and Environment. Only the political forum now survives. On plus side, a ruling from US Supreme Court regarding free speech on net forced MSN to stop censoring posts. This was a big success for all those in favour of free speech on the net, although MSN no-longer supplies a link from their home page. Another site I frequent is "My Sun", and you will find my posts within many other forums, including the UK Democracy Fourm.

Does that answer your question? :cool:

Archived