Rose cottage Crosspool

big_g

After a bit of information about a certain building in Crosspool.

There's a new house/cafe that has been built in Crosspool on the triangle of land between Lydgate Lane and Manchester Road. Prior to this being a house it was a public convenience. Prior to this, I am fairly sure that it used to be a cafe called "Rose Cafe".

I have trawled the Internet and cannot find reference to this. Not sure where I read about this being a cafe in times gone by but I have seen it somewhere (I think). I'm just after a sanity check really that there used to be a building there before the toilet block and the name of the building. If anyone has a link to a photo then that would be brilliant.

The reason for this request is for a project that my daughter is doing at school.

Thanks in advance

G

Manchester Road to juction of Lydgate Lane.

(1925)

442 Heyward Mrs. J. W

450 Spooner & Harrison, builders

450 Spooner Arthur, builder

456 Bolsover Mrs. Elizh. draper

458 Straw Horace T. fruiterer

460 Eyre John Hy. sen. boot repr.

----------------------------------------

Lydgate Lane to juction with Manchester Road.

299 Robinson Frederick, shopkeepr

301 Barker John Francis, labourer

301 Barker Henry, (j) joiner

315 Ashmore Arth.& Sons,butchrs

317 Scovell George, confectioner.

picturesheffield

And at a later date, the shops appear to have gone.

picturesheffield

picturesheffield

Hi - this 1920s photo on the picturesheffield.com site shows a "boot repairer", an advert. for a butcher's and a phone/police box in that location. Two later views also show a fruit shop etc. Here is an earlier view looking along Manchester Road. Also, this one shows what was evidently "rumoured to be the Rose Cottage Inn" on Tapton Hill Road.

Hope this is helpful!.:)

Archived