Car for a 17 year old?

Hi all

My son turned 17 on the 1st November and for his birthday i bought him a driving licience and have booked him 10 lessons.

He is a very sensible lad, grade A student, wouldnt say boo to a goose,

Not impresdsed with cars but could do with one to get him to college for his a levels as the bus service is horrendous.

He currently works part time with me so is earning a nice little amount for a 17 year old so actually buying a car will not be a problem.......its the insurance

What is the cheapest car to insure for him? We really do not know what to look for, any ideas on who does a good insurance rate for teenagers?

If anyone can give me some advice on what i should be lookng for size wise, make, age we would be really grateful

If anyone can give me some advice on what i should be lookng for size wise, make, age we would be really grateful
Not too small (think e.g. 306-sized, "between a Corsa and a Focus" kind of size), but with small engine (1.1, 1.2), 12-13 year old (R/S reg) or newer with good service record/few owners (think OAPs selling up), pick a regular/non-exotic make with plenty of spares (Vauxhall, Ford, Peugeot...)

peugeot 206 1.1 my friend has one of these, cheap insurance ( but shes been driving 2 yr) and only £35 a year tax

but then again anything in your 1st year of driving anything is expensive on insurance, do a quote on compare.com for him and see what the outcome is

hope this helps

Try here:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/insurance

You can select an insurance group (lower being generally cheaper) and see which cars fall into that group.

Then you could look at other things such as tax, mpgs and how much they cost to buy.

Older cars may indeed qualify for cheaper classic insurance, however, many of these policies are limited mileage and require you to garage the car overnight.

Get something old, or else it's going to be literally thousands to insure it every year.

Old, eg, something 1980's.

Micras, Datsuns, something like that.

Get him an old VW Beetle, you might even get it on classic insurance, and it will be cheap.

Datsun???

Where do you propose he gets one from? There's only one for sale on Autotrader in the whole of the Uk and it's a 240Z coupe at 12 grand. :hihi:

I agree about an old 80's shed but they can be high maintenance, and ultimately, false economy. Also some classic car insurance companies will have limited mileage limits and minimum age restrictions, which would rule out a 17 year old student.

What's your budget for the car? And do you have any idea at all as to how much the insurance is going to cost for whatever you buy? :(

His cheapest option will be one of the companies that fit a tracker and have a condition of use between 06;00 and 23:00 (I think).

He might get as low as £600 with them with a £50 surcharge for every day he drives at the wrong hours.

i like this idea never heard of these before

I was going to suggest checking insurance groups on Parker's website, but my bro drives a group 11 car because a group 2 car was dearer.

The cars?

Group 2 - Corsa 1L petrol

Group 11 - Pug 306 1.9L diesel

Have the groups changed? When we were checking a couple of months ago the Corsa was group 1 and the Peugeot's weren't as high as 11.

Archived