Car for a 17 year old?

we did a comparrison on go compare and just a cheap (495) ford ka was going to cost him just under £3000

budget for a car will be up to £2000

In that case, I'd definitely be checking out Toyota Yaris. They're great little cars.

Also, what about Citroen C2 or C3 diesel - the diesels are stupidly economical.

VW Lupo?

There's good and bad in all makes and models - much of what you hear on here will be people's individual preferences - as mine is. Personally, I think you could do a lot worse for a starter car than a Yaris. :)

i had a 1999 1.3 kia pride for my first car after i passed my test and it cost me £350 for the car then £1200 for a years insurance :o when i went to renew my insurance this year they said £1800 :rant: both the above was third party fire theft with no other extras

i said no way and traded it in cos it failed its mot anyway :(

i then got a 1999 1.2 fiat punto for has cost me £800 third party fire and theft for this year with lots of extras. i had a really really good look around and got about 30 differant prices from differant places then pitted them against each other and got what i felt was a good deal.

it isnt going to be cheap to insure him though especially if he hasnt passed yet and it will be expensive when he does.

as for the best car id say something like peugot of a fiat smallish engine would be best for him. a lot of insurance companies take a deposit too and its usually £100 + so dont forget to add that in to the budget as i didnt know that when i went to insure my car the first time. be firm with the insurers though at the end of the day they all want your money so make em work for it.

Corsa's arnt actually that cheap to insure. Popular car for young people means that its also a popular choice for thiefs

When i started driving i had a PUG206 :D and so did my friend.

1.1 L

Cheap as Chips to insure

Get something old, or else it's going to be literally thousands to insure it every year.

Old, eg, something 1980's.

Micras, Datsuns, something like that.

Get him an old VW Beetle, you might even get it on classic insurance, and it will be cheap.

You can't usually get classic car insurance unless you are over 21 and have another "main" car. The problem with old cars is they are badly designed rust buckets that will fold up like cardboard when the inevitable accident happens. It is far beeter to look at EU NCAP ratings of cars if you want to increase safety.

Corsa's arnt actually that cheap to insure. Popular car for young people means that its also a popular choice for thiefs

When i started driving i had a PUG206 :D and so did my friend.

1.1 L

Cheap as Chips to insure

Wouldn't touch an ageing French Car with a bargepole, in fact after owning one, I wouldn't touch a new one. Better getting a 10yr old japanese car like a Micra, cheap insurance, cheap tyres etc, etc.

Archived