Research for a young persons clinic

Hi people,

My doctor is trying to start a clinic at RHH just for young people to help with the merge from Childrens to Adult hospital and has asked for my help.

She asked me what young people would want to make their hospital visit abit easier and not as scary or boring and easier.

One of the issues is what magazines as she has the funds to order some magaine subscriptions so its all upto date, but as I dont read magazines I dont know what people read. Obviously they would need to be clean so no naked women/men lol.

So what do you or your kids read between 15 and 25year old?

What would make a waiting room more bareable?

To be honest, and I hope you report this back. I find the whole idea of having magazines lying around hospital waiting rooms and public areas, hideous.

It's the first thing my kids want to run up to, the same with toys in our GPs surgery, and I always have a battle with them not to touch them.

The times I've seen people pick and scratch and wipe their noses and sneeze and cough into them, and heaven knows what else, I should think that the cases of CDiff, Norovirus, etc could be slashed instantly, if they got rid of these. What are they thinking?

What hospitals should do is have free wi-fi throughout, so kids and young adults can bring in their own bit of hardware, phones, laptops, palmtops, whatever, and entertain, inform, and distract themselves as they wish, and safely.

To be honest, and I hope you report this back. I find the whole idea of having magazines lying around hospital waiting rooms and public areas, hideous.

It's the first thing my kids want to run up to, the same with toys in our GPs surgery, and I always have a battle with them not to touch them.

The times I've seen people pick and scratch and wipe their noses and sneeze and cough into them, and heaven knows what else, I should think that the cases of CDiff, Norovirus, etc could be slashed instantly, if they got rid of these. What are they thinking?

What hospitals should do is have free wi-fi throughout, so kids and young adults can bring in their own bit of hardware, phones, laptops, palmtops, whatever, and entertain, inform, and distract themselves as they wish, and safely.

Seconded. The only thing I use in waiting rooms is the internet on my phone.

My 15 year old daughter likes "Glamour" and "Cosmopolitan". Wouldn't most 15 year olds have parents with them though? I usually read the magazines while she goes in to the clinic, so I would like magazines aimed at female adults please :)

The idea of wi-fi would go down well, but she wouldn't have her own to bring with her, so it would be good if there were some game consoles or something there to use as well.

Archived