YSF bookshop - the music?

purdyamos

I have a slightly random question about the beloved YSF bookshop that was on Sharrow Vale Road. There was usually music playing down at the till area, some sort of traditional ethnic style. From what I remember it was fairly unmelodic but repetitive with percussive sounds. Sometimes it sounded like wooden wind chimes played rhythmically, if that makes any sense. I suppose they changed CDs sometimes but the place usually had a characteristic sound. I never asked about it at the time but the other day I remembered it and am curious now to know where it came from.

No-one will be able to guess from the above description, and I don't expect them to, but I wonder if there is anyone that knew at the time what style of music they were in the habit of playing, what country/region/tradition it was from, if it has a name, etc?

I associate Rare and Racy with smoky jazz (as I call it, from visualising a dark club late at night with pungent smoke hanging in the air). I'm not exactly an afficianado (sp?) of World music genres, I know Tibetan chanting has weird deep throaty harmonics. This was more hypnotically rhythmic clangy/clattering noises with no voices, probably meditational. I know full well that no-one will be able to guess it from me just describing it as 'clangy/clattering noises' though. :hihi:

I might just dive into Youtube putting random Eastern regions* into the search box and see what turns up!

*Norfolk? The Wolds?

Archived