Tracing Family Name

WARDY1

I'm trying to find out where my Nan's maiden name originated from but i'm really struggling.

Her maiden name is Halke and I read somewhere that it might be German or Hungarian

Apart from that I know nothing else so if anyone knows where I should start and can point me in the right direction it would be very much appreciated.

Ta very much,

Hi - I just looked at the 1911 census return and found 45 people with the surname Halke. All seem to have English Christian names and the dozen or so I looked at were born in the UK. Most were in the south-east but there were two Halke households in Sheffield. There were more people with the variations Halket and Halkett in 1911, and this also proved true for the 2003 census (10 x Halke, 134 x Halket and 408 x Halkett)

A look at the German phone book ""Das Telefonbuch" (via www.infobel.com) found 70 people called Halke in Germany, so it could be a German mame, though not a common one. In any event, there seem to have been some well-established English people called Halke in 1911.

This site gives the name Halke as "unclassified" while Halkett is English (though most lived/live in Scotland). Hope this helps!.:)

Remarkably localised name in 1851. (listed at Ancestry.co.uk so transcriptions may be suspect)

23 individuals

4 (1 family) born and living in Sheffield

18 born and living in Kent

1 born in Holland, living in Kent (Halke by marriage)

Hugh

• 2 years later...
I'm trying to find out where my Nan's maiden name originated from but i'm really struggling.

Her maiden name is Halke and I read somewhere that it might be German or Hungarian

Apart from that I know nothing else so if anyone knows where I should start and can point me in the right direction it would be very much appreciated.

Ta very much,

Hello Wardy1

Are you still researching the Halke's?

I am the great great grandaughter of Henry Halke who married Emma Senior at Sheffield Parish Church in 1848.

I think you could be a relative of mine. If you have any information about the Halke's I would love to hear from you.

windle5

---------- Post added 12-01-2013 at 14:59 ----------

Remarkably localised name in 1851. (listed at Ancestry.co.uk so transcriptions may be suspect)

23 individuals

4 (1 family) born and living in Sheffield

18 born and living in Kent

1 born in Holland, living in Kent (Halke by marriage)

Hugh

The Halke's living in Sheffield in 1851 are my great great grandparents Henry Halke and Emma Halke nee Senior. Henry's father was George Halke and Henry was baptised at St Mary's Islington in 1825.

windle5

Ta very much,

Hello Wardy1

Your grandmother must have been or is Mary Atkin nee Halke. Her parents were Arthur and Lilian Halke (nee Barnes) they had a son called Clifford who died aged 30 minutes in 1914 and Mary their daughter was born 1920. Arthur her father was the son of Walter Halke -your great great grandfather(born 1849 married Sarah Ann Howe 26 December 1872 at St Philips church) he was his 4th child. Walter Halke was the first child of Henry Halke born 1825 Islington London and Emma Halke nee Senior born 1829. Henry Halke is your great great great grandfather and he is my great great grandfather. I know that Henry's father was called George and he was a gardener married to an Elizabeth? Emma Senior your great great great grandmother was born in Sheffield on Silver Street in 1828. Her father was called John Senior born 1802 and in the 1841 census an Amelia Senior is living with the family aged 68 who most probably was his mother so was born 1773 - Amelia Senior is your great great great great great grandmother!

Hope you find this useful

Archived