Help with cat fur loss

denlin

my cat has developed a bald patch at the top joint on her leg. looks as though she's licked the fur off but I can't see a cut anywhere. anybody got any idea why she wuld do this. she has always had very sleek fur and is the cleanest cat I have ever known. she is 14 now and I've had her since she was born. I also have her mother who is 16 and she seems to be ok

Poor thing! Could be a flea allergy, I know you said she's clean but if she's outdoors at all she can pick them up from other cats and some cats have a bad reaction. Or could be stress like midgecat said, excessive grooming/fur pulling is a common sign and sadly 'tis the season with the fireworks, feliway diffusers are supposed to be soothing so might be worth a try.

My first thought would be flea allergy. Do you use a regular flea treatment on your cat?

My cat had flea allergy dermatitis, it can develop at any age. She lost patches of fur inside her back legs, at the base of her tail and on her lower tummy. The vet recommended Frontline spot-on, which I now use every month, shes fine now and all her fur grew back, except its really soft and fine on her tummy.

My first thought would be flea allergy. Do you use a regular flea treatment on your cat?

My cat had flea allergy dermatitis, it can develop at any age. She lost patches of fur inside her back legs, at the base of her tail and on her lower tummy. The vet recommended Frontline spot-on, which I now use every month, shes fine now and all her fur grew back, except its really soft and fine on her tummy.

Yes she's been flea'd and is 14 and fireworks have never bothered her. I keep both cats in on bonfire night but Smudge the one with bald patch sits in window watching them so it can't be that. She hasn't nibbled it sore, it just looks as though she's been licking it excessively

Just thought it may be over a month since she was last flea'd so just did both cats and Smudge suddenly started frothing at mouth - bit like when they eat grass. she seems ok now. I had a right panic attack then. Amber seems fine, any ideas about this

Archived