Super Fast Broadband on its way

Maybe BT cap the speed at 20Mb/s for some reason that isn't immediately obvious. Maybe they don't but know that few will get 24Mb/s and they're being more honest than Be.

Who knows.

They may be, without comparing the two side by side I couldn't say. But they do (at least claim to) offer a faster speed than BT using the same equipment.

Fair enough if you believe them, lol.

well DigitalRegion wont be much use unless BT upgrade the exchange and phonelines.

and the whole point of voting is to get the upgrade in your area sooner rather than later.

you 'DO NOT' need to sign up with BT for anything.

BT won't be upgrading phone lines or exchanges.

Exchanges have plenty of capacity, and already have fibre links to the backhaul.

Infinity is the same principle of Fibre to the Cabinet as DR.

I would love to now where these people live that actually get 20 meg via a phone line,I just did a check on BT web site and I get 2.5 meg from Ecclesfield exchange.
Max I'm supposed to be getting is 1.5 megs, 'because of the length of the line to the exchange'.

I've just had a right hoo-ha with Plusnet, after my speeds fell, from a regular/steady 1.5 Megs, down to 0.3 Meg (up and down and yes, you read that right), it took a week to get them back to 0.67 Meg (up and down and yes, you read that right again), and supposedly that's the best I'm gonna get anytime soon, provided I leave my router permanently plugged in the master socket (which is actually quite inconvenient). And I've still not been explained wtf happened in the 1st place.

Seriously considering giving 3G a test run instead. I mean, is this 2010? My parents have been getting 24Mbps down steady in nowherescountryside, France, for 5 years FFS :rant::rant::rant:

BT have prommised to upgrade the 5 telephone exchanges in Yorkshire & Humberside, the highest in demand by early 2012.

Super Fast Broadband offers download speeds of up to 40mb potentually rising to 60mbs with upstreem speeds of 10mbs.

Telephone Exchanges in Broomhill, Ranmoor, Dinnington, Maltby & Mosborough have allready been selected.

If you live in an area that has poor internet speeds, i reccomend you visit

http://www.racetoinfinity.bt.com and vote for your area to be upgraded.

The areas with most votes will be upgraded 1st.

Please Note: you do not have to be a BT customer to vote, and you do not have to join BT to benefit from the upgrade. BT will be updating the phonelines and exchanges for all isp's and customers benefit.

Thanks!

D.B

Mosborough will be live on the 31st of December with BT Infinity. I know this for a fact.

BT won't be upgrading phone lines or exchanges.

Exchanges have plenty of capacity, and already have fibre links to the backhaul.

i think you will find they are upgrading and that not all exchanges have fibre links..sheffields fiberoptic network was installed some years ago by telewest, when blueyonder used to be sheffields isp.

now virgin own this network after buying out Telewest.

so BT are going to upgrade the ones who missed out when telewest were rolling out fiberoptic!

once this fiberoptic network is inplace you will be able to get super fast speeds from whatever isp you choose as the lines will be leased from BT to the other isp's.

as far as i am aware you can only get high speed broadband if you are with virgin and are in a fiberoptic area,,,otherwise your on ADSL, using old phonlines that can only support upto 24mb and in reality most users dont even get close to getting half this speed., eg: im on up to 24mb broadband and due to old lines/distance from the exchange i get a max 2.5mb.

Archived