Super Fast Broadband on its way

i think you will find they are upgrading and that not all exchanges have fibre links..sheffields fiberoptic network was installed some years ago by telewest, when blueyonder used to be sheffields isp.

now virgin own this network after buying out Telewest.

so BT are going to upgrade the ones who missed out when telewest were rolling out fiberoptic!

once this fiberoptic network is inplace you will be able to get super fast speeds from whatever isp you choose as the lines will be leased from BT to the other isp's.

as far as i am aware you can only get high speed broadband if you are with virgin and are in a fiberoptic area,,,otherwise your on ADSL, using old phonlines that can only support upto 24mb and in reality most users dont even get close to getting half this speed., eg: im on up to 24mb broadband and due to old lines/distance from the exchange i get a max 2.5mb.

You've a few things mixed up here:

The cable network installed by Yorkshire Cable and now owned by Virgin is totally separate from BT's.

BT will have plenty of fibre between their exchanges but previously it's been copper between their exchanges and homes (up to 8 miles?) unlike Virgin's which has fibre to the green cabinets which leave less than 250yds of copper (coax) to your home.

BT Infinity and Digital Region are now laying fibre to new cabinets which will then provide quicker broadband via BT's existing copper into the homes albeit from much closer.

BT Infinity and Digital Region are now laying fibre to new cabinets which will then provide quicker broadband via BT's existing copper into the homes albeit from much closer.

I like the sound of that so does it mean they won’t have to dig our road and my block paving up because the optic cable only goes to the green box at the top of our estate.

So you get a superfast connection to your ISP.

Very few people seem to understand this, having a fast connection doesn't make the entire internet work faster, if the site your trying to access has a slow connection it will still be slow even if you have a 300Mb connection.

So you get a superfast connection to your ISP.

Then you (along with 51.5 million other internet users in the UK) connect into the World Wide Web.

And because the whole system is overloaded, you get slow downloads.

When my connection speed to this forum is slow (and it's often painfully slow) I go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and find that I've got fast uploads and downloads - between my house and a server 30 or 40 miles away.

The problem isn't between my house and the ISP, it's between my house and Sheffield.

Nope, it's lag on the servers which this forum i hosted on which I presume are nowhere near Sheffield. The web in general runs plenty quick enough but if the server hosting this forum is having to deal with other sites etc and lots of pageviews it might lag a bit. The way around that is by paying for private servers which they may already be doing but unlikely imo.

Edit: vBulletin is hardly the quickest forum package either which might add a bit of lag.

I'm perhaps a bit late commenting on this but we have just connected a few people of to the new digitial region network. we have been amazing by how the network works and the performance improvements seen. We have one customer who was only getting 0.2Mb on an ADSL2 line due to their distance from the exchange (6km). They are stilll really far from the street cabinet but now get 15Mb as a down load speed. We have another customer who are fortunate enought to have the Digital Region cabinet outside their office and they are getting 66Mb which we believe to be the quickest broadband connection in the UK!!! At the moment we only have a business offering but hope to release a residential product in January, anyone interested?

Archived