Wentworth Castle Gardens - December wedding problems!

Hi all

Just wondered if anyone else has had any problems with Wentworth Castle Gardens.

We had provisionally booked 10 December 2011 for our wedding but weren't told at the time that a Santa's grotto is due to run each Saturday and Sunday throughout December in the very place we are booking for our wedding, from 10 until 4!

They have suggested finishing this early so we can marry at 3, but this means by the time we get outside for any photographs (weather permitting) it would be going dark!

Is it just me or when you read a brochure that says you are paying for the use of the facilities "all day until 12.30 a.m." do you assume you have exclusive use and you're not having to share it with excitable children, Santa and a load of parents quaffing mulled wine and eating mince pies?

:(

I had a problem with Wentworth Castle Gardens with even booking the place for our wedding. They never returned numerous phone calls and emails requesting a quote, dates they had free for us to book, and a meeting with the wedding co-ordinator. Needless to say we booked elsewhere. They then had the cheek to send me an email a month later asking if they could be of any help with our wedding. So I sent them a big rant back saying they could have been of help had they bothered to reply to any of my attempts to contact them, so lost my custom as I dreaded to think what they would have been like after they had got my money if they were that bad in even trying to secure my custom in the first place.

So from my experience, they're rubbish at communication and don't really seem to be too bothered in your wedding day. They should have told you about the grotto, and if they say you have use of the facilities all day then it should mean all day. Otherwise it's false advertising and you'll be paying for something you'll not be getting.

Hope you get it sorted!

Hi Gempud,

We have just booked there and I know they had a massive problem with their copmputer system which meant they were without email for about 3 weeks. I guess its an issue with email if you don't know whether or not its been read/received etc.

Fiona - is the grotto in the little courtyard outside? we knew that we would be sharing the gardens (and thus the walkway between the 2 rooms) with the public, wouldn't fancy a grotto in that courtyard though! Although that is part of the public areas where other people could be.

I hope you do get it sorted. They seem to have been pretty reasonable with us so far!

Hiya, yeah I think it is possibly the cabin in the courtyard.

We're having a bit of a rethink about everything because 3 is a bit late for us to get married in winter.

Might change the time of year so that we don't have the sharing issue.

We were aware about sharing with the public until 5 but didn't realise just how much we had to share @ Christmas, lol!

Sorry to hear that gempud, it did take us a while to get in touch through email and a lady said to me that Jade preferred to do telephone calls than email. Email's easier for most people nowadays, especially when you're busy.

Hiya, yeah I think it is possibly the cabin in the courtyard.

We're having a bit of a rethink about everything because 3 is a bit late for us to get married in winter.

Might change the time of year so that we don't have the sharing issue.

We were aware about sharing with the public until 5 but didn't realise just how much we had to share @ Christmas, lol!

Sorry to hear that gempud, it did take us a while to get in touch through email and a lady said to me that Jade preferred to do telephone calls than email. Email's easier for most people nowadays, especially when you're busy.

At least ypou found out sooner rather than later I guess...

Unless you could maybe incoporate the grotto into your theme? Are you likely to have many kids there?

I agree, I'd be unhappy with a 3pm ceremony in winter too I think.

Can't believe they thought it was acceptable to have a wedding at the same time as the grotto!

Would you still pay the full day rate for the venue? We are having our ceremony at 11 so get loads of use out of the space.

• 2 weeks later...

While I agree with ndegwa, there is nothing better than daylight for outdoor photography.

Your photographer may be able to light the immediate scene, but he will not be able to light the whole building nor the fields beyond the hotel. It will be obvious that they were taken at night. I would recommend Wortley Hall. It will still go dark early, but it has a certain faded grandeur that you may like.

Hi all

Just wondered if anyone else has had any problems with Wentworth Castle Gardens.

We had provisionally booked 10 December 2011 for our wedding but weren't told at the time that a Santa's grotto is due to run each Saturday and Sunday throughout December in the very place we are booking for our wedding, from 10 until 4!

They have suggested finishing this early so we can marry at 3, but this means by the time we get outside for any photographs (weather permitting) it would be going dark!

Is it just me or when you read a brochure that says you are paying for the use of the facilities "all day until 12.30 a.m." do you assume you have exclusive use and you're not having to share it with excitable children, Santa and a load of parents quaffing mulled wine and eating mince pies?

:(

My friend got marriede there in Aug and sorry to say had loads of problems with them. From the canapas to not letting the chair covers company in till 40 mins before they were due to wed. They had to cover 110 chair covers and put the bow things on, she found them ignorant and lazy in repling to emails.

My understandin g is that they have had various changes in management recently - I don't know when Jade Started, but I think it was some point this summer.

I first went to see the venue mid to late September and have found them pretty good to contact, have had replies to emails within the time promised etc.

Also, presumably issues with the canapes are due to the caterer not the venue, and the catering is external.

Archived