Oldham has to re-run voting (Now Re-Run)

We shall see ………. I wasn’t thinking about the by-elections I was thinking about the split in the coalition when Cleggs party is in disarray at losing the AV vote.

It is quite clearly something that concerns Labour far more than the L/Ds. I note that the legislation has been held up many times by Labour Lords. It is getting to be very likely that these delays will prevent the legislation being in place for a May ballot.

Of course that was the hope. But as the Lib Dems didn't get enough votes to rule then sadly that was the only thing to do in the interests of the country.

This has served Cameron well as it has made his job easier with the extremities of the right wing of his party.

But I posted on here the other day in another thread, The Lib Dems have done well in the coalition and are now making a real difference.

True, and I understand that.

But in 4 1/2 years time when a Lib Dem comes asking for my vote, or even come May, am I voting for the Lib Dems, or am I voting for the coalition?

But in 4 1/2 years time when a Lib Dem comes asking for my vote, or even come May, am I voting for the Lib Dems, or am I voting for the coalition?

Of course locally voting Lib Dems will make a direct difference as you can influence what happens here in Sheffield.

In 4 and a half years time in the national election we shall see what happens.I guess if the next 4 and a half years has worked for the good of the country people will decide what action to take and we dont know yet what will happen to the coalition, ie whether it will stay or whether the parties feel they will be better off separately.Time will tell.

And in May there will be some council elections. I'm sure the Coalition partners will lose some seats, but who cares? The coalition are clearing up the budget deficit created by Labour and when a GENERAL Election is called I am sure the financial situation will be better than it is today.

But having agreed that Labour will make gains in May, here's a question for you. What do you think voters in May will focus on most?

A... That in the year since an election Labour retained 2 parliamentary seats.

B.. That in the year since the election Labour had a front bencher dismissed for drink driving, had an MP thrown out of the commons for electoral malpractice, and will very likely have 4 MPs in jail for fraud.

probably that the lib dums renaged on tuition fees and want to be nice to muslim terrorist threatening our country

that ken clarke of the toies wants to close prisons rather than open them

that the tories who promised to bring the banks into line have let them get away with paying ridiculous bonuses.

that the tories said they would regulate petrol prices and their silence is deafening

probably that the lib dums renaged on tuition fees and want to be nice to muslim terrorist threatening our country

that ken clarke of the toies wants to close prisons rather than open them

that the tories who promised to bring the banks into line have let them get away with paying ridiculous bonuses.

that the tories said they would regulate petrol prices and their silence is deafening

You make some interesting points, typical of someone who never voted for either of the coalition partners in the first place.

Let me just look at your points.

1.. that the lib dums renaged on tuition fees and want to be nice to muslim terrorist threatening our country. As the lib'dems are part of a coalition they are not able to make poicy, but they are able to influence it. That is something they can't do if they are a minor party in oposition... but it does get up the noses of Labour supporters.

2.. that the tories who promised to bring the banks into line have let them get away with paying ridiculous bonuses. I didn't notice Labour had much success at this. Labour did manage to get several banks to shift their headquarter abroad and take thousands of highly paid jobs with them along with the tax they would have paid. At least now the banks are in profit, paying masses of corporation tax, National Insurance and income tax. You might also reflect on how many otherbusinesses moved abroad as a result of Labour stupidity and taxes.

3 that the tories said they would regulate petrol prices and their silence is deafening.. You should perhaps note that the coming rise in fuel duty was put in place by Alistair Darling in an attempt to pay for some of his spending excesses, but with a bill to come in after the election.

I think you can be pretty certain that you won't be voting for a coalition with Labour should there be another hung parliament.

As the lib'dems are part of a coalition they are not able to make poicy, but they are able to influence it. .

If they wanted to “influence” a policy that was a cornerstone of their election campaign why didn’t they all abstain or better still vote against it, is the idea of a coalition that you have to agree on everything or are the Lib/Dems allowed to retain some of their dwindling identity.

You make some interesting points, typical of someone who never voted for either of the coalition partners in the first place.

Let me just look at your points.

1.. that the lib dums renaged on tuition fees and want to be nice to muslim terrorist threatening our country. As the lib'dems are part of a coalition they are not able to make poicy, but they are able to influence it. That is something they can't do if they are a minor party in oposition... but it does get up the noses of Labour supporters.

2.. that the tories who promised to bring the banks into line have let them get away with paying ridiculous bonuses. I didn't notice Labour had much success at this. Labour did manage to get several banks to shift their headquarter abroad and take thousands of highly paid jobs with them along with the tax they would have paid. At least now the banks are in profit, paying masses of corporation tax, National Insurance and income tax. You might also reflect on how many otherbusinesses moved abroad as a result of Labour stupidity and taxes.

3 that the tories said they would regulate petrol prices and their silence is deafening.. You should perhaps note that the coming rise in fuel duty was put in place by Alistair Darling in an attempt to pay for some of his spending excesses, but with a bill to come in after the election.

you are right i didnt for for the lib dums or the tories, because the lib dums are so wet behid the ears when it comes to policies. I mean can you imagine the state of national security in this country if they ever got in on their own.

The tories just look after the rich, always have and always will

If they wanted to “influence” a policy that was a cornerstone of their election campaign why didn’t they all abstain or better still vote against it, is the idea of a coalition that you have to agree on everything or are the Lib/Dems allowed to retain some of their dwindling identity.

When negotiating a coalition the parties will discuss which things they want and what they are prepared to compromise upon.

Am I assuming the L/Ds will be losing your vote then, or are you just proving my point that these things seem to get more up the noses of Labour supporters?

So if Gordon Brown has formed a coalition with the L/Ds would you be slagging them off over these same points? I note in particular that the tuition fee increases were actually recomendations from Mandy's think tank.

Archived