Oldham has to re-run voting (Now Re-Run)

you are right i didnt for for the lib dums or the tories, because the lib dums are so wet behid the ears when it comes to policies. I mean can you imagine the state of national security in this country if they ever got in on their own.

The tories just look after the rich, always have and always will

Thank you for proving my point. Perhaps if you voted Tory you might yourself become a little richer.

Am I assuming the L/Ds will be losing your vote then, or are you just proving my point that these things seem to get up the nose of Labour supporters?

So if Gordon Brown has formed a coalition with the L/Ds would you be slagging them off over these same points? I note in particular that the tuition fee increases were actually recomendations from Mandy's think tank.

And the answer to my question is where :huh: how did they influence the policy.

If they wanted to “influence” a policy that was a cornerstone of their election campaign why didn’t they all abstain or better still vote against it, is the idea of a coalition that you have to agree on everything or are the Lib/Dems allowed to retain some of their dwindling identity.

any principles we thought Clegg and the lib dums had have flown out the window now they're on this power trip. They have to toe the coalition line with smarmy dave camerons lot

Thank you for proving my point. Perhaps if you voted Tory you might yourself become a little richer.

how do you work that out, i am working class, the tories care sweet f.a. for the working classes, they only look after the solicitors, bankers and the like, who are about as trustworthy as what they are

Perhaps as a Labour supporter you should have studied the coalition agreement before you started slagging off the parties regarding it.

Perhaps you should have studied it.

8. Education

Schools

We agree to promote the reform of schools in order to ensure:

• that new providers can enter the state school system in response to parental demand;

• that all schools have greater freedom over curriculum;

• and, that all schools are held properly accountable.

Higher education

We await Lord Browne's final report into higher education funding, and will judge its proposals against the need to:

• increase social mobility;

• take into account the impact on student debt;

• ensure a properly funded university sector;

• improve the quality of teaching;

• advance scholarship;

• and, attract a higher proportion of students from disadvantaged backgrounds.

If the response of the Government to Lord Browne's report is one that Liberal Democrats cannot accept, then arrangements will be made to enable Liberal Democrat MPs to abstain in any vote

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8677933.stm

Still no answer :hihi::hihi: You wouldn’t happen to be a politician would you.

I was giving you the opportunity to look it up yourself. It is an admission when you have moaned about it so much, that you do not even know its contents. :huh::huh:

OK here goes.

CONCESSIONS BY TORIES

* Five Cabinet places and Liberal Democrat ministers in most departments.

* A referendum on the introduction of AV without a legitimacy threshold.

* A reformed House of Lords elected by PR. Although this was also a Tory manifesto promise it was not a first term priority. Use of proportional representation is also a LibDem win.

* No British Bill of Rights of the kind that might have stopped votes for prisoners.

* No repatriation of powers from the EU. Some of us have, for some time, doubted the determination of Cameron and Hague on this front but pressures of the Coalition have made Eurosceptic action even less likely.

* Suspension of all major family policy initiatives including long-grassing of the introduction of a tax allowance for marriage. There is provision in the Coalition Agreement for this tax allowance to be introduced on the back of LibDem MPs abstaining but I am doubtful that government time will be found for the vote. Overall, social conservatives are the big losers from the Coalition as I noted in last week's Times (£).

* A delay to Trident renewal until after the next General Election. This, says the PM, is justified on cost grounds but some Tory MPs suspect the influence of the Liberal Democrats.

* Greater local government involvement in healthcare provision.

* Greater use of community sentences, less use of prison. Although this policy is backed by Ken Clarke the Tory manifesto promised greater use of prison and probably wouldn't have happened if the Tory Right held the balance of parliamentary power.

* Higher rates of Capital Gains Tax.

* No reduction in inheritance tax although the fiscal situation might have necessitated this anyhow.

* Yesterday's referral of NewsCorp's takeover of BSkyB to OfCom (although it probably would have happened anyway).

Insistence Five other policy areas settled in the LibDems' favour will be applauded by most Conservatives:

* Lifting low-paid workers out of the income tax system. Overwhelming numbers of Tory activists welcome this policy.

* Greater emphasis on tackling tax-dodgers.

* Reform of the welfare system to 'make work pay'. Insiders say Clegg was decisive in helping IDS secure the nature and scale of welfare reform that was delivered, overcoming Treasury resistance.

* A universal pension of £140 (draft idea).

* The introduction of a Pupil Premium for disadvantaged children. Again this is something Michael Gove wanted but the Premium's size and extention into extra benefits for pre-school and pre-university reflects Liberal Democrat influence.

In addition certain policy options are probably closed off by the Coalition, including profit-making free schools and abolition of the 50p tax band.

COMPROMISES BY LIB DEMS

* The Liberal Democrats to support early deficit reduction and George Osborne's goal of eradication of the deficit by the end of the parliament. In the process the junior Coalition partner have swallowed politically unpalatable decisions on, for example, housing benefit reform, freezing the BBC licence fee and cuts to the arts. A majority of Tory members say they are willing to accept concessions to the Liberal Democrats on other issues if the economy is fixed.

Other significant Liberal Democrat concessions:

* Equal-sized seats, including a reduction in the number of MPs to 600.

* The introduction of a cap on economic immigration and the abandonment of the LibDem policy favouring an amnesty for illegal immigrants.

* Vince Cable's pledges on a mansion tax were abandoned.

* A large increase in tuition fees. The LibDems are, however, likely to secure a cap on fees and a more progressive repayment regime including a penalty for early repayment of student loans.

* A green light for nuclear power.

Perhaps you should have studied it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8677933.stm

I did, but quite evidently you didn't. A draft coalition agreement was agreed on 12th May which allowed the parties to form a coalition. A final agreement made on 20th of May which set out the full agenda. Like I said many times these matters seem to worry folk who didn't vote for either of the coalition parties far more than they concern those who did.

Archived